what did you use to study for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eldirty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
? If you choose other ... please reply and tell us what you used. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

wikipedia + DAT destroyer is an awesome combo when you are going through every single word in the answers and question stem.

Most the people would have used Kaplan, but if you ask them today, they would tell you to use other materials.
I only used Kaplan, nothing else. I had no idea about what else was available. That being said, I wouldn't really recommend Kaplan for anything other than Gen Chem and RC.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaplan isnt as focused to the dat as destroyer is. Kaplan is really made for the m-cats. Use destroyer on the dats esp. for the orgo as that is just compleetely taken apart in destroyr. You can do very well using destroyer for the orgo.

Last edited:
kaplan isnt as focused to the dat as destroyer is. Kaplan is really made for the m-cats. Use destroyer on the dats esp. for the orgo as that is just compleetely taken apart in destroyr. You can get a 30 using destroyer for the orgo.

How much does Dr. Romano pay you? Judging from all your posts I would say you should ask for a raise.

How much does Dr. Romano pay you? Judging from all your posts I would say you should ask for a raise.
lol :), you tell um' Rose.

Anyway, Kaplan is a good review book for starting off your studies as it covers almost everything. From there you can focus in on key spots.

exactly ... klutzy1987 - 7 posts basically identical all about destroyer and getting a 30 after using it ... how does one get on the payroll? I could use I nice part time job

As for DAT destroyer, you can get a high score on orgo just using a crappy old 1989 edition of some O chem text book. That's what my "other textbook" was and it worked fine. There is nothing but straightforward questions in the o chem section, so it should be the least of your worries.
I am also surprised more people aren't using Campbell's. I felt it was simply the best for bio studying.

As for DAT destroyer, you can get a high score on orgo just using a crappy old 1989 edition of some O chem text book. That's what my "other textbook" was and it worked fine. There is nothing but straightforward questions in the o chem section, so it should be the least of your worries.
I am also surprised more people aren't using Campbell's. I felt it was simply the best for bio studying.

The problem with using text books to study is that there is simply too much information. Most normal people can't memorize an entire book. Besides, it isn't necessary to, especially for orgo.

Members don't see this ad :)
i've used DAT Destroyer, TopScore, and i have Kaplan too; I liked the best Destroyer

I used a lot of "other" stuff...
1) Exam crackers 101 passages in MCAT (for RC)
2) Barron's (PAT is Good and tests)
3) Cliffs Test Prep (with CD ROM)
4) EYE Q Reading Comprehension software
[FABULOUS IS NOT THE WORD!! Check their demo at http://www.infmind.com/]
5) Kaplan classroom course's online access code for $350
6) Only Kaplan's all 30 subject tests with flashcards
7) 1 full length DAT test with some PAT 3d explanation
8) 501 exam crackers for math
click on post (or pm if you want to buy) "Dat Material For Sale" under For Sale and Advertisements

i have purchased the kaplin book, i have a old dat book from my sister which is good for the pat and i also have the dat destroyer which is very good in the chem and orgo parts i have not looked at the bio section on the dat destroyer but the kaplin book had an okay refrence on the bio infromation as for the dat destroyer on bio i cant coment on it because i havent looked at that section yet.

Everybody knows (even the ones who lives in deniel) that the destroyer is the best study tool for the DAT out there. All other materials can and should be only a secondary source. The destroyer is the only source that focus your studies on what is really important for the DAT.

If the name doesn't already imply it - the DAT Destroyer will help you annihilate the DAT. Other study materials are not as detailed or through, period.:thumbup:

I used almost every single DAT prep book/CD available - no joke here. I would say that Kaplan is a great way to cover all of the basic information (it is pretty sufficient in the Chem and O Chem areas). From there, I read all of Schaums Outline for Bio and ExamCrackers for Bio and Chem. This will give you a solid base. I went through all of the Acheiver and Topscore exams, just for computer and PAT practice. I would say that the science sections on these were not what I saw on the actual DAT and Reading was a bit harder on the actual DAT. However, to really get the high scores in the science sections, definitely get the DAT DESTROYER!!! Dr. Romano explains things so clearly and is so knowledgable/helpful. PM me if you want any more information! I think if you put the time in, it'll pay off in the end!

All of you still studying.....check out half price bookstores. I got a lot of gently used books there for super cheap and spotted quite a few Kaplan blue books.

I used almost every single DAT prep book/CD available - no joke here. I would say that Kaplan is a great way to cover all of the basic information (it is pretty sufficient in the Chem and O Chem areas). From there, I read all of Schaums Outline for Bio and ExamCrackers for Bio and Chem. This will give you a solid base. I went through all of the Acheiver and Topscore exams, just for computer and PAT practice. I would say that the science sections on these were not what I saw on the actual DAT and Reading was a bit harder on the actual DAT. However, to really get the high scores in the science sections, definitely get the DAT DESTROYER!!! Dr. Romano explains things so clearly and is so knowledgable/helpful. PM me if you want any more information! I think if you put the time in, it'll pay off in the end!

That all sounds really good, but if you're kind of broke like a lot of college students (me, to name one), what's the best route? I've already purchased the Kaplan online course and Crack DAT PAT. Where should I go from there? Destroyer then Achiever??

Anyone else feel like their life is revolving around one test? :(

That all sounds really good, but if you're kind of broke like a lot of college students (me, to name one), what's the best route? I've already purchased the Kaplan online course and Crack DAT PAT. Where should I go from there? Destroyer then Achiever??

Anyone else feel like their life is revolving around one test? :(

both destroyer and achiever.
and yes, your life does revolve around this one test but then after this test is over ur life revolves around applications

I used Kaplan and topscore. I think Kaplan is very good except for some PAT section, especially for angle ranking. The explanation in the key is extremely helpful. As for topscore, it gives you a taste on how DAT computerize format is like. I find it useful to practice RC in topscore, which is pretty close to the real test in terms of how they ask questions.

My DAT score: 21AA/22TS/19PAT

Is anyone gonna shed a little light on this ace prep thing what it is????