What did you use to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impulse155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious what everyone suggests to use for studying. I know people say use DAT destroyer for X subjects, Crack DAT for Y, BB for Z etc. By the time you figure out what everyone took you forget what the first person you asked took. Just trying to get a feel for what people suggest. Also if you can, post if you would recommend it, how it helped you, if you switched from one to another, was it better than the other.

AA:
TS:
PAT:
QR:
RC:
BIO:
GC:
OC:

Members don't see this ad.

I'll just copy/paste something I wrote a few days back to someone asking about "best DAT prep materials / methods"... This is the same stuff I did
---------------------------------------------------------------------

with regards to reading, I tried some of the passages on Kaplan blue book, Goodfry reading software, and I did soo terrible on those practice tests that I gave up on all RC, I didn't even develope a method to attack the articles, I just relied on LUCK....

with regards to MATH, I though DAT destoyer wasn't all that helpful but the MATH Destroyer was spot on. The MATH destroyer is a different book than DAT Destroyer, the MATH one has 10 math tests, each with 40 questions, if you master those 400 questions inside and out, your going to rock the math section of the DAT cause those questions from destroyer are, I swear Im gonna say 70-80% of them will show up with the same style just different numbers. the mistake I did was I only did the first 6-tests and I did them about 1-2 months before my test date, so I was outta practice by time I took the DAT.

At this poing, you should buy DAT Destroyer, its very good for chemistry and orgo, Biology is pretty good too for some random facts that wouln't be covered in Kaplan Blue book nor Cliff's AP biology

with regards to biology, yehhhhhh this section sucks cause its SOOOO BROAD. But, I started with Kaplan blue book, and found it very poorly organized for biology. It lacked alot of details, however, it was still good as an introductory biology.
-Start with Kaplan blue book
-Read all of Cliff's AP biology (anywhere from 1-3 times)
-Supplement Cliff's AP bilogy + KBB with your biology test... I personally loved Biology by raven, I thought it was 100 times better than Cambell
-Finally do the biology section of DAT Destroyer atleast 2-3 times, take notes / highlight stuff

with regards to general chem, yeh nothing beats Kaplan blue book, spot on. Perfect review guide. When your done with Kaplan Blue book, go on and hit DAT Destroyer atleast 1-3 times for this section.

with regards to orgo, kaplan blue book is pretty good, but DAT Destroyer is key here. Master DAT Destroyer orgo section and you'll be hitting 20+ on the orgo section of the DAT

Finally, PAT, Crack DAT PAT is the king. Master those 10 tests and you should easily score 20+ on the PAT. by the way, the scores you get on the Crack DAT PAT (esspecially toward the last ones) will be a very good indicator of how you'll do on the real test

My DAT
AA: 21
TS: 22
PAT: 20
QR: 18
RC: 19
BIO: 21
GC: 24
OC: 21

Last edited: