Jul 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys wanted to become before deciding on dentistry.

I always wanted to be an airline pilot and even thought about pursuing that dream in college. In order to fly for any major airlines, you need a Bachelors degree, so I went with a science major since you can major in anything and I loved science in high school. The fact that airline industries are in terrible condition was on the of the main factors that turned me off.

Last edited:

Vicviper

Michael De Coro, DMD - AKA Steve McAwesome
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2008
Visalia, CA
Status
Dentist
Before my Junior year in high school when I decided to go dental I wanted to go into computer science because that was what my older brother was doing, and I was the total computer geek (still am :D). But once he started his PhD program, I started to see that the kind of work he was doing didn't really interest me any more, that I didn't want to just sit at a computer all day, and I wanted to work with my hands.

alexa13us

Dintzishor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 8, 2008
Status
Dental Student
i wanted to become a marine biologist and go to australia to study the coral reef...i realized that with the same amount of schooling I can just become a dentist and go and visit australia...:laugh:...and that most likely I would have ended up working in an aquarium...

rewJW

surviving
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status
Dentist
When I was really little I wanted to be a vet, but I never seriously pursued it. I know I would never have been able to put animals to sleep, even if it was for their own good.

In college I really enjoyed entomology and invertebrate zoology. I considered doing the PhD route and studying some sort of arthropod and eventually teaching... (especially this is the route my brother is going, but for a different field, not biology) -- but then I had a mediocre experience doing research with blue crabs and realized that a life of research and getting grants and whatnot isn't for me.

Jun 26, 2009
Status
I wanted to be a plastics surgeon. Helping people feel better about themselves was my motivation, though I felt that dentistry offers a more well-rounded training route. So technically...I still have the same dream, except I want a better lifestyle lol

Erhatstil

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
i wanted to play soccer professionally, but ac milan never called me

Kneecoal

10+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2009
Long Island, NY
Status
Pre-Dental
paleontologist. i thought dinosaurs were the coolest thing up until i was 9. then i thought teeth were cooler. not sure how that happened :confused:

12345a

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2009
Status
premed --------> presuicide ---------> suicide -------> reincarnation -------> predent --------> bliss

JRock310

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2008
MA
Status
premed --------> presuicide ---------> suicide -------> reincarnation -------> predent --------> bliss
you just described my life :D

before i even went into the sciences, though, i was a communications major. i wanted to work in marketing/advertising. BIG CHANGE.

4thMolar

5+ Year Member
May 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I wanted to do something in computer engineering when I was back in high school, but then my high school courses in CET, NET, etc. turned me off. Then I didn't really know what I wanted to do while I was in college until late, when I started looking into dentistry.

Blarelli

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2007
Status
Dentist
I told my Jr. High guidance councilor that I was going to own a winery.:laugh:

Royaltee

hahaha
10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
i was 2 years away from becoming an architect...then i dropped everything and ran the dental way. hell yea, beat that.

polkadds

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys wanted to become before deciding on dentistry.

I always wanted to be an airline pilot and even thought about pursuing that dream in college. In order to fly for any major airlines, you need a Bachelors degree, so I went with a science major since you can major in anything and I loved science in high school. The fact that airline industries are in terrible condition was on the of the main factors that turned me off.

I am a commercial pilot, but I just got furloughed from the airlines and have decided to make a total career change. The aviation industry in going no where anytime soon, so be glad you didn't pursue that career. Flying is a great hobby, and as a dentist you should be able to afford to fly for fun.

I'm going back to school to do my dental pre-reqs then hopefully I'll be heading to DS. Its a total 180 career change so I have a lot of work ahead of me in pre-req courses, but it'll be worth it in the end.

NyCzPeter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Status
Dental Student
NYPD and teacher fo sho

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
I was Engineering for my first year- year and a half...finished calc III and said f*** that! Haha I did consider medicine though...then dentistry caught my eye and now I wonder WHY I ever wanted to do anything else!

Flipper405

"Excessive" flosser
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Status
Dentist
Horn player in a professional orchestra

Ober3

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
A DENTIST! Ever since I was 6 years old and had a career day in grade 2. I've known since then... :rolleyes:

Near

Kung Fu Senior Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Wow, interesting answers here so far! :D

In my senior year of high school, I wanted to be a physician. Before that, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to be. Sometimes I daydreamed about being a successful Wall Street business person. And even less seriously, the Supreme Overlord of Earth. :oops:

The switch from wanting to be premed to predent came early in the summer, mainly thanks to hours of SNDing....

vlct0ria

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2008
Status
Dental Student
HA! I didn't realize this thread was so old and I answered it again...oops! :p

Jun 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
When I was a kid I wanted to be a vet (but I think it was just because I liked puppies). Then I wanted to be a jockey or, if I got too tall, I'd compete in show jumping in the Olympics.

icedspice

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2009
Status
Dental Student
part time air hostess - i liked the Singaporean hostesses' hot outfits.
vet - until i realized that i would have to even treat...snakes?
counselor
teacher - this might still happen
interior decorator - fuuun stuff
:)

Matt2010

10+ Year Member
Feb 1, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Quit culinary school 2 years in. It just was not enough. I still love to cook though...

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Lets see i went from wanting to be a professional football player in elementary school to wanting to be a paleontologist in elementary and middle school to wanting to be a police officer in high school to wanting to be a dentist junior year of high school.

wwdaffodils

10+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
I remember when I first read Catch Me If You Can, I got really depressed afterwards because that's when I realized my life would never be as cool as the guy in the book. I mean, he was a doctor, a lawer, AND an commercial airline pilot- and he didn't even go to college! Albeit, he was a crook... :laugh:. Sometimes I have to keep myself from reading books because I get way too invested in them.

But I always wanted to be an airline pilot. I don't know, I always had this fascination with flight... something about traveling the world and flying the plane upside down.

More realistically, I wanted to be a writer. Or an English professor. I think that's what I'd be pursuing if I wasn't applying to dental school.