What did you want to be before deciding on dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TedyBearSuicide

Senior
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys wanted to become before deciding on dentistry.

I always wanted to be an airline pilot and even thought about pursuing that dream in college. In order to fly for any major airlines, you need a Bachelors degree, so I went with a science major since you can major in anything and I loved science in high school. The fact that airline industries are in terrible condition was on the of the main factors that turned me off.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Before my Junior year in high school when I decided to go dental I wanted to go into computer science because that was what my older brother was doing, and I was the total computer geek (still am :D). But once he started his PhD program, I started to see that the kind of work he was doing didn't really interest me any more, that I didn't want to just sit at a computer all day, and I wanted to work with my hands.

i wanted to become a marine biologist and go to australia to study the coral reef...i realized that with the same amount of schooling I can just become a dentist and go and visit australia...:laugh:...and that most likely I would have ended up working in an aquarium...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was really little I wanted to be a vet, but I never seriously pursued it. I know I would never have been able to put animals to sleep, even if it was for their own good.

In college I really enjoyed entomology and invertebrate zoology. I considered doing the PhD route and studying some sort of arthropod and eventually teaching... (especially this is the route my brother is going, but for a different field, not biology) -- but then I had a mediocre experience doing research with blue crabs and realized that a life of research and getting grants and whatnot isn't for me.

I wanted to be a plastics surgeon. Helping people feel better about themselves was my motivation, though I felt that dentistry offers a more well-rounded training route. So technically...I still have the same dream, except I want a better lifestyle lol

i wanted to play soccer professionally, but ac milan never called me

geologist/metereologist who studies earthquakes, tsunamis and natural disasters.

paleontologist. i thought dinosaurs were the coolest thing up until i was 9. then i thought teeth were cooler. not sure how that happened :confused:

premed --------> presuicide ---------> suicide -------> reincarnation -------> predent --------> bliss

premed --------> presuicide ---------> suicide -------> reincarnation -------> predent --------> bliss

you just described my life :D

before i even went into the sciences, though, i was a communications major. i wanted to work in marketing/advertising. BIG CHANGE.

I wanted to do something in computer engineering when I was back in high school, but then my high school courses in CET, NET, etc. turned me off. Then I didn't really know what I wanted to do while I was in college until late, when I started looking into dentistry.

Members don't see this ad :)
I told my Jr. High guidance councilor that I was going to own a winery.:laugh:

I wanted to work in Public Relations--oops, already did that and it was lame.

Police officer. I still might if I don't get in.

i was 2 years away from becoming an architect...then i dropped everything and ran the dental way. hell yea, beat that.

I thought it would be interesting to see what you guys wanted to become before deciding on dentistry.

I always wanted to be an airline pilot and even thought about pursuing that dream in college. In order to fly for any major airlines, you need a Bachelors degree, so I went with a science major since you can major in anything and I loved science in high school. The fact that airline industries are in terrible condition was on the of the main factors that turned me off.

I am a commercial pilot, but I just got furloughed from the airlines and have decided to make a total career change. The aviation industry in going no where anytime soon, so be glad you didn't pursue that career. Flying is a great hobby, and as a dentist you should be able to afford to fly for fun.

I'm going back to school to do my dental pre-reqs then hopefully I'll be heading to DS. Its a total 180 career change so I have a lot of work ahead of me in pre-req courses, but it'll be worth it in the end.

I was Engineering for my first year- year and a half...finished calc III and said f*** that! Haha I did consider medicine though...then dentistry caught my eye and now I wonder WHY I ever wanted to do anything else!

A DENTIST! Ever since I was 6 years old and had a career day in grade 2. I've known since then... :rolleyes:

Wow, interesting answers here so far! :D

In my senior year of high school, I wanted to be a physician. Before that, I wasn't really sure what I wanted to be. Sometimes I daydreamed about being a successful Wall Street business person. And even less seriously, the Supreme Overlord of Earth. :oops:

The switch from wanting to be premed to predent came early in the summer, mainly thanks to hours of SNDing....

HA! I didn't realize this thread was so old and I answered it again...oops! :p

For as long as I can remember it's been dentist for me. Apparently I use to tell my grandma that I wanted to be one when I was really young.

When I was a kid I wanted to be a vet (but I think it was just because I liked puppies). Then I wanted to be a jockey or, if I got too tall, I'd compete in show jumping in the Olympics.

part time air hostess - i liked the Singaporean hostesses' hot outfits.
vet - until i realized that i would have to even treat...snakes?
counselor
teacher - this might still happen
interior decorator - fuuun stuff
:)

Quit culinary school 2 years in. It just was not enough. I still love to cook though...

Lets see i went from wanting to be a professional football player in elementary school to wanting to be a paleontologist in elementary and middle school to wanting to be a police officer in high school to wanting to be a dentist junior year of high school.

I remember when I first read Catch Me If You Can, I got really depressed afterwards because that's when I realized my life would never be as cool as the guy in the book. I mean, he was a doctor, a lawer, AND an commercial airline pilot- and he didn't even go to college! Albeit, he was a crook... :laugh:. Sometimes I have to keep myself from reading books because I get way too invested in them.

But I always wanted to be an airline pilot. I don't know, I always had this fascination with flight... something about traveling the world and flying the plane upside down.

More realistically, I wanted to be a writer. Or an English professor. I think that's what I'd be pursuing if I wasn't applying to dental school.

architect, filmmaker, animator...

hey, i still might do all these as a dentist. quadruple threat baby!