What did you wear to your medical school interview??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if I'm being too picky, but yesterday I went business suit shopping and could find nothing! We tackled stores like Ann Taylor's, Macy's, Dillards', Saks (both the outlet and the real thing), Casual Corner, and Petite Sophisticate. The only suit that even remotely looked like it was made for someone under thirty was from the limited. All the others looked like they belonged to our mothers. Any idea for modern-looking, nice-looking suits? Or am I just being too much of a fashion maven?

I also looked at The Limited and Express, who did have nice-looking suits. Being the short Asian girl that I am though, they didn't fit me ... is anyone else having this much trouble getting a silly business suit???

Members don't see this ad.

Dara,
I bought my suit at The Limited. I think their things run a little bit big which is why their things may not have fit you.

I agree with you about the other stores. I myself couldn't have seen myself in anything but something from the Limited or Express. Everything else at the places you mentioned was very "polyestery" and "grandma-y."

Was the stuff too long? or just too big? I could have sworn I saw a size zero at The Limited (definetly not my size LOL):D

Anyone wear a bow tie for their interviews?

I plan on wearing a bow tie for my white coat ceremony. Bow ties are cool. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Catholic school girl uniform. ;)

Hey, nobody mentioned short sleeved suits. Did any ladies wear short sleeve suits to interview in the summer? Too bad it's not an option for guys.

Been to six in texas already, and haven't seen any ladies wearing short sleeved suits. I did see someone wearing maybe one that was a little longer than three quarter's or so, but I don't remember anyone. That doesn't mean they weren't wearing them. Mostly all the girls were wearing dark colors. The guys had a little more variety, but not too much. Mostly stuck with the navy and blacks. Some had the pinstripes. Hope that helps.

Forgot to add, the girls were wearing short sleeve shirts under their suits though. Some blouses didn't have sleeves. Maybe that was what you meant.

went to buy a suit
have been searching for over a week now
and the only suit that looked semi-decent on me was a kinda non-conservative suit

it is grey with light pinstripes
the pants are wide-leg

one problem i have with it is that it has only one button on the jacket
it is more trendy then conservative
but i feel comfortable in it more than other suits i tried on that had more buttons and narrower leg opening

its really hard for me to find suits
i guess my body is kinda weird, so 99% of suits look ******ed on me

should i keep searching for a suit that has 2 to 3 buttons on the jacket, and that is more conservative???

Gentleman, on this question:

two words

Brooks Brothers

Ladies,

Has anyone considered wearing a scarf with your suit? NOt those thick ones...the ones that are thin and kind of stylish. Is this inappropriate?

Hi,

I'm sure there are people reading this thread because they are really freaking out about what to wear.

Just wear something you are comfortable in. Something that is professional looking and present yourself in a professional manner and it won't matter what you are wearing.

At one of my previous interviews there was a guy who obviously never worn a suit before. It was too big in the shoulders and too long in the sleeves and he looked really uncomfortable.

My advice if you are going to get a suit, get one that fits or have it altered. Otherwise just wear a nice pair of slacks, dress shirt and tie. Don't wear something that doesn't fit.

Just my 2 cents

Previous poster's question : You could wear a nice looking scarf. I personally wouldn't think there was anything wrong with that.

Also, wear a suit. I saw folks w/o suit and quite frankly it did not look professional...specially for an interview.

I wore a pink gorilla suit. I think it went well.