What did your interviewer wear?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LizzyM

the evil queen of numbers
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
With all these threads about what to wear for an interview, I'm wondering what you've seen interviewers wear.

State the location (state or region), the interviewer's position (dean, faculty, staff, student), and anything pertinent such as extreme environment.

I'm not suggesting that what the interviewer wears is appropriate for an applicant to wear but I'm just curious what my fellow interviewers wearing.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember the exact outfit of one of the MMI interviewers, but she had this huge butterfly necklace that was mildly distracting. At another interview, one of the physicians who interviewed me had a somewhat dirty/wrinkled white coat on, and she had those bead thingies holding her glasses up, like this: http://www.eyeglassholders.com/images/home/Main-graphic.jpg

She kept taking her glasses off to make eye contact and then putting them on to look at my file, so the beads were also somewhat distracting.

Region: northeast

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
My student interviewer in the Midwest wore jeans and a T shirt.

Members don't see this ad :)
My student interviewer on the East Coast wore letter print leggings that looked something like this:
romwe-letter-print-skinny-white-leggings-143658-medium.jpg

She came to get me for my interview and my jaw went :wow:

Reactions: 2 users
Had an interview in Canada... One doctor, one fourth year medical student and one layperson. Panel type interview. All very professional attire (ie. Shirts and ties)

Southeast: My interviewer made me feel so inferior with his Japanese bespoke suit. Easily $10,000 in clothes, and one of the nicest suits I've ever seen.

Northeast: First interview the guy literally looked like he just got out of bed, didn't bother with a tie and wore khaki pants. Second interview the woman wore standard business attire with HUGE diamond earrings.

Had a few MMIs and I think most wore a long sleeve button down and slacks, or business casual blouses + slacks/skirt for the women, like what a GP might wear in daily practice.

A few went as casual as Polo + cargo shorts.

Maybe 1 or 2 wore suits, I'm not sure.

Southeast and Midwest.

My student interviewer on the East Coast wore letter print leggings that looked something like this:

That's so fetch.

Reactions: 1 users
I find an interviewer in a white coat + scrubs infinitely more comforting than business attire....

Both of my long interviews had interviewers dressed in a white coat + scrubs. My short station had a woman in business attire.

Standard: Button up shirts, one may have worn a tie (I'm 75% sure he didn't) with slacks. Typical business day wear. I didn't see many blazers/jackets, out of the twelve people I saw maybe one wore one.
MMI: Most Business casual (knit shirts, khakis/black slacks, polos, etc). Students wore jeans/tshirts. I had one doc with slacks, button up, and white coat.

Everyone was business casual on my interview day. I don't think I saw a single non-interviewee wearing a suit.

I interviewed for a PA program (northeast) and my student interviewer wore leggings like that too! Hers were brighter though. The faculty wore ill fitting suits that reminded me of what you are forced to put together at the nearest TJ Maxx when the airline loses your luggage. I had already started leaning towards applying to medical school instead. That interview (not just the outfits) is what helped me finalize my decision and I rejected their offer.

Both schools I've interviewed at so far were in Texas, but the heat wasn't bad so no excuses there. My one female interviewer (incidentally the associate dean of admissions) was very nicely dressed, in a dress skirt and blouse with a white coat. My male interviewer at that same school was dressed appropriately I think (can't recall, it was my very first interview so I was nervous).
The interviewers at my second school were shocking.... Very loose grandpa jeans and very loose misshapen polos. I felt extremely overdressed. They also were just sitting as if they were in an armchair taking a nap.

Edit: while I did like the second school, I have a much better impression of the first school because my interviewers were more poised, so clearly looks matter, even subconsciously

LMU and ACOM: they were dripping swag

jk, just business suits

Southeast: My interviewer made me feel so inferior with his Japanese bespoke suit. Easily $10,000 in clothes, and one of the nicest suits I've ever seen.

Northeast: First interview the guy literally looked like he just got out of bed, didn't bother with a tie and wore khaki pants. Second interview the woman wore standard business attire with HUGE diamond earrings.
do you think he works in an underserved area