What direction should I go from here? Just finished Undergrad

Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi guys,

I need a bit of advice. I've been a lurker for all of 1 year now, and I've compiled a lot of information (special shoutout to Doc Toothache for the great guide) but I sitll have a ton of questions pertaining specifically to my situation and I would love all advice.

So, I've decided i finally want to take the dive and push myself towards Dent. I previously was gonna settle with just my undergrad and a job that I got straight out of uni (50k a year starting and slowly increasing), but thats irrelevant. On to the standings: Currently, graduate from an undergraduate degree in Health Sciences. Finished about half of the pre-reqs and going back to do more this year, re-admitted in a BioChem undergraduate degree for now.

My oGPA is at a 3.15 (3.2 rounded lol) which is below the average, i know. Difficult 1st and 2nd year with a lot of personal circumstances, but I've had a great upward trend in my GPA. Finished the last two years with a 3.7 oGPA (3.81 4th year, and 3.56 third year). Have not calculated my non-science GPA yet. I'm not to sure how to calculate my science GPA because I'm from Canada and dont know what counts as a science course or not still lol, but my BCP GPA is a 2.33 (Missing Orgo 2, Physics 2, Biochem) so theres room to improve. I took all of these courses during my 1st and 2nd year. I had a bad spill with chem and got a D in orgo 1, and a C in gen chem (a 1, and a 2 basically) so they've brought my science gpa down quite a bit. Also got a C+ in Bio 2 I was planning on redoing Orgo 1, and I'm sure I can get an A in it with a lot of hardwork now so they'll average the GPA for it to a 2.65? Wasnt sure if I should redo Gen chem aswell. Anywho, thats a tangent.

Planning on writing the DAT this year in November. I'm beginning to shadow a Dentist, aiming to have over 100+hrs by next June. Hopeful to finish my pre-reqs by next August, or by the next school year.

Extracurriculars: I've been the Vice-President of 2 organizations that I have been working with for the past 4 years, I've always held atleast a part-time job (roughly 16hrs a week) over the past 4 years, and have also been a key member in another volunteer organization the past 2 years.

My question now is: Where should I go from here? I'm currently enrolled in another undergraduate degree, and am going to fix up my Orgo mark by retaking it, should I retake any others? I'm taking Mammalian Physiology, a second English, was thinking of taking Physics 2 as well, then doing Orgo 2 in the summer of 2016, and finishing Biochem next year during the school year/when offered. I wasnt sure if it was too late to get into a Masters for this year or not.

Any advice and all help appreciated. I was going to apply to a lot of states school, some Canadian schools, and Australian Schools.

May 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Seems like you already have a good plan. Follow it. As for Master's, I dont know about Canada, but its too late to take it this year here in the states. You need your pre-reqs anyways.

OP
T
Sep 2, 2015
Status
Pre-Dental
Thanks Dentjo, I'm trying to set-up an appointment with an academic advisor, in the meantime I'm still waiting on any feedback form anyone else with more pre-dent experience that me lol