What direction should I take to get into the medical field?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

V781

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I have no chance of getting into medical school. My GPA is/will be in the low 3. range. However, I know for sure that I want to work in Human Health science. I am not well around sick patients (ie those who are vomiting in particular), so I don't believe it would be the best idea to go into nursing.

I'm currently two years into a 4 year degree and finishing my general ed requirements. I am at a community college in the bay area of Cali. I am currently listed as a Biological Sciences major, but I have been hesitant about this. Biology majors seem to have difficulty getting jobs until they have acquired a Masters. And, two, I'm only interested in the human aspect of Biology. I am bored stiff by ecology/zoology/botony.

I'm interested in these titles:
Radiology Technician
Medical Laboratory Technician
Physical Therapy Assistant
Physical Therapist
Sonographer (Cardiology)
Personal Trainer (Part Time - already have experience and certs)
[Something in Cardiology - my favorite system of the body]

These all require different 2 year degrees and certifications. I do not know if I should quit my 4 yr degree pursuit and take up one of these specialties. Is there another major that might get me decently into the medical field? I need to immerse myself into each area somewhat to make a decision - how do I go about doing this? Visit the major hospital in my area and ask a desk associate if I can shadow someone? Also, which of these do you highly recommend (considering pay, intrigue, availability, and ability to progress through the field)? Again, I am in the bay area of California.

Members don't see this ad.

I know that I have no chance of getting into medical school. My GPA is/will be in the low 3. range. However, I know for sure that I want to work in Human Health science. I am not well around sick patients (ie those who are vomiting in particular), so I don't believe it would be the best idea to go into nursing.

I'm currently two years into a 4 year degree and finishing my general ed requirements. I am at a community college in the bay area of Cali. I am currently listed as a Biological Sciences major, but I have been hesitant about this. Biology majors seem to have difficulty getting jobs until they have acquired a Masters. And, two, I'm only interested in the human aspect of Biology. I am bored stiff by ecology/zoology/botony.

I'm interested in these titles:
Radiology Technician
Medical Laboratory Technician
Physical Therapy Assistant
Physical Therapist
Sonographer (Cardiology)
Personal Trainer (Part Time - already have experience and certs)
[Something in Cardiology - my favorite system of the body]

These all require different 2 year degrees and certifications. I do not know if I should quit my 4 yr degree pursuit and take up one of these specialties. Is there another major that might get me decently into the medical field? I need to immerse myself into each area somewhat to make a decision - how do I go about doing this? Visit the major hospital in my area and ask a desk associate if I can shadow someone? Also, which of these do you highly recommend (considering pay, intrigue, availability, and ability to progress through the field)? Again, I am in the bay area of California.

So you have already given up before you even get a degree? DO school allows grade replacement so you would need to finish your 4 year degree and then do a GPA regroup and take the pre-req's or repeat low grades where needed Your list is extensive and each of your choices requires it's own specific coursework/program. You will need to make a decision as to what you really want to do and focus on the path. You need to read the underdogs thread, success stories, etc. I think you are premature in giving up the med school dream (if that's what you really want). Baby steps. Know that you probably won't be able to stay in CA if you really want to be a doctor.

Last edited:
Well, I've thought about Med School off and on but I could never determine whether it was truly for me. So it hasn't yet been a goal or dream of mine. I can say there are aspects to it that I imagine I would really enjoy. Being a doctor on a television show, like House MD, looks fun, and intriguing... but I know that is all just Hollywood tv.

I just know that I love the human body and that I can really take in information about it. I'm stuck at a point where I must choose a path, and would love advice from others that have been here. How do you determine your place?

Members don't see this ad :)
You have to follow your heart and do what you love. Be practical in choosing a career that will last. Do what you see doing for the next 20, 30 yrs? No one can answer that but you.

Hey there!
I'm a currently working general and vascular sonographer who is in the middle of doing my pre reqs to apply to medical school. I actually started as a radiology tech, worked about 3 years then cross-trained to sonography. I have done some cardiac sonography as well, although it's not currently part of my job. I can tell you that sonography is more technically difficult than radiography, because you decide what images get taken/kept for the radiologist. Anyways, I enjoy sonography more than radiography because it is more challenging. I really enjoyed doing echoes as well. One of the biggest reasons I want to pursue medicine is because I want to put together the clues as to what's going on with the patient. What are the symptoms? What does the lab work say? What are the radiology results? I want to be able to know (or figure out) what's going on with my patient, and what can be done about it. I want to be able to discuss the results with the patient, and decide on an action plan. As a technologist (radiographer or sonographer) you are not supposed to discuss any results with the patient. Just smile and nod. If you can be happy with doing a great job taking images and chatting about non clinical things with your patient, then go for one of the imaging careers. But if you need to know what's going on, and why, and want to be able to explain it to your patient, and listen to their fears and be compassionate and help them understand what needs to happen next, pursue medicine.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2