What do adcoms think of resident assistants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZeroTouchMeNot

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Freshman here. This morning, I was nominated to be a resident assistant (RA) for the next school year. I want to be an RA as well since it can alleviate the financial burden on my family since as an international student, my scholarship doesn't cover my housing and meals. On the other hand, I won't have that much time to engage in other activities (ECs) in school. Will adcoms view RA as a leadership role?

Members don't see this ad.

If you portray your RA role as a leadership role, then I think adcoms will likely see it that way too. When you write about the position, you can highlight what kind of leadership position you had as an RA and what you learned from the position. I think there are a lot of transferable skills you can highlight/incorporate into your application.

I think that as an RA, you should still look to find time in other ECs. Do not limit yourself if you can.. with great time management you will be able to find a good balance. Not sure about your specific situation, but for my institution, being an RA was not the best financial choice (there were better ways to make money to cover the cost of housing/meals) but I did it because I knew I would enjoy the experience and gain from it other than the free housing and meal coverage that was provided. Like with everything you should be doing imo, do not do it just for the money/finances.

This is coming from someone who worked as an RA for 3 years during undergrad..

You can spin just about anything as anything. But what you guys don't realize is that we've been in your shoes. We know what RAs do and don't do, we may have been RAs ourselves. If you think that listing an RA position is gonna cut it over other activities you're in for a rude reality check.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on how you frame it but there's certainly a lot of great skills and stories you could use from that!
also your school just nominates for RAs? our school has a loooong recruitment process. it's like med school or something

Freshman here. This morning, I was nominated to be a resident assistant (RA) for the next school year. I want to be an RA as well since it can alleviate the financial burden on my family since as an international student, my scholarship doesn't cover my housing and meals. On the other hand, I won't have that much time to engage in other activities (ECs) in school. Will adcoms view RA as a leadership role?
Employment is always good.

Positions of responsibility are always good.

Don't know about leadership

Yes, some of us have been RAs and while being an RA won't substitute for clinical experience & service to the poor, which are expected, and research experience which is quite common, it is work experience and, depending on the school, it can be an opportunity for leadership as well, particularly if by the end of your academic career you have a leadership role among RAs.

It sounds like it is a big plus for you in terms of getting room & board covered so go for it.

Yes, some of us have been RAs and while being an RA won't substitute for clinical experience & service to the poor, which are expected, and research experience which is quite common, it is work experience and, depending on the school, it can be an opportunity for leadership as well, particularly if by the end of your academic career you have a leadership role among RAs.

It sounds like it is a big plus for you in terms of getting room & board covered so go for it.
What do adcoms think of clinical volunteering and research done during the summer? Are clinical volunteering and research worth more if they are done during the semester?

Depends on how you frame it but there's certainly a lot of great skills and stories you could use from that!
also your school just nominates for RAs? our school has a loooong recruitment process. it's like med school or something
In my school, you actually apply to be an RA. However, it's way past the deadline, but I just received an email from my school saying that I got nominated because my boss recommended me, so I was given an extension.

You can spin just about anything as anything. But what you guys don't realize is that we've been in your shoes. We know what RAs do and don't do, we may have been RAs ourselves. If you think that listing an RA position is gonna cut it over other activities you're in for a rude reality check.
For sure, I'm gonna do research and volunteer as well over the summer. But I'm wondering if it can replace club leadership position. I'm not interested in joining our school clubs anyways.

If you portray your RA role as a leadership role, then I think adcoms will likely see it that way too. When you write about the position, you can highlight what kind of leadership position you had as an RA and what you learned from the position. I think there are a lot of transferable skills you can highlight/incorporate into your application.

I think that as an RA, you should still look to find time in other ECs. Do not limit yourself if you can.. with great time management you will be able to find a good balance. Not sure about your specific situation, but for my institution, being an RA was not the best financial choice (there were better ways to make money to cover the cost of housing/meals) but I did it because I knew I would enjoy the experience and gain from it other than the free housing and meal coverage that was provided. Like with everything you should be doing imo, do not do it just for the money/finances.

This is coming from someone who worked as an RA for 3 years during undergrad..
Honestly, I actually really want to do it, since I'm not interested in joining school clubs. The housing and meals are just huge bonuses for me.

It's good to see if you want to be an RA. You'll have to learn a lot about crisis management and the struggles of your peers, which may not be so different once you get into professional school (without knowing all about the residential stuff). I'm not sure about "leadership" but you have to learn a lot about being responsible for others and getting help when problems arise.

No one on the adcom cares if you are involved in school clubs. There are many kinds of leadership and it is not about being secretary or president of a club. But schools do depend on having students who can see a need and step up to organize (or take over responsibility for) a group to work together toward a common goal.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t like it. Soon they’ll join the PA/NP movement and take our resident positions too!