What do Bio majors need to do to stand out?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bennyboy5406

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm almost 100% sure I'm gonna go Biology as my major, yet still reluctant due to the stigma surrounding the idea that most med school applicants are BIO majors and therefore they all look very very similar..what are some things one should consider if deciding on Biology......thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What do Bio majors need to do to stand out? - not be bio majors.

It must be the most uncreative choice of majors out there for a pre-med.

If you really love it, more power to you...but it is like getting a degree in history or something? What else can you do with it besides teach or go to graduate school?

I'm almost 100% sure I'm gonna go Biology as my major, yet still reluctant due to the stigma surrounding the idea that most med school applicants are BIO majors and therefore they all look very very similar..what are some things one should consider if deciding on Biology......thanks!

not be bio majors

Members don't see this ad :)
double major in chemistry!!

Double-major. Find something you're interested. I'm majoring in bio and medicine and society.

Find innovative research opportunities. I'm applying to do research in Uganda this summer.

Do VERY WELL on your MCATs.

Bulk up your ECs and volunteering.

who cares? you really are getting the bio degree to go to graduate school.... so why not? stand out in other aspects: publish a paper or two, save some african babies, be a dodgeball champion... something. no one cares what major you are... at all.

Haha! When I first decided that I wanted to be a bio major I was shocked that it was the most popular major at the university, and I didn't understand why because I certainly didn't know that many people in high school who were so interested in biology.

I know that at first I harbored a bit of resentment that so many people wanted to go that route because their real interest was in professional schools, while mine was simply in biology.

I find it funny that along the way many of them have switched, or will switch both their majors and their goals, but I'm not only sticking with bio because I'm still enthusiastic about it, but also decided that the medical route was the most appropriate one for me to follow.

I don't think there is a stigma. People's goals change. Just follow what interests you the most.

HumidBeing said:
I don't think there is a stigma. People's goals change. Just follow what interests you the most.
I agree. Despite its popularity, I cannot see choosing Biology as a major as a hindrance to your chances of becoming a physician, assuming that you are a strong applicant in every other respect (grades, MCAT scores, etc...)

By far the most important criterion to utilize when making a decision is personal preference. If you love biology, then ignore the supposed stigma and major in it. Your passion alone should help you to thrive and find your own ways of standing out/being an attractive applicant. If you don't love biology, then choose something else, or enter as undeclared and take an eclectic mix of classes to determine your interests. Picking an off-beat major just to "stand out" won't matter if your heart is not in it, for your academic performance and motivation will undoubtedly suffer.

Get good grades in Biology and do all the other generic stuff you need for a good application. I am a Bio major, and I have never been asked about it in any context.

You don't need to do anything, and I think SDN kinda overrates the whole "majoring in something else makes you stand out" thing. Regardless of major, if you are a quality applicant you should have a strong chance of getting in somewhere.

Well, theoretically, being a bio major shouldn't influence your chances of getting into med school.

However, statistically, bio majors seemed to need higher MCATs than other majors to enter certain med schools.

I majored in Biology because I like biology... not really a hard decision. If you can't see yourself taking classes in advanced genetics, in-depth anatomy and comparative anatomy, maybe even some cool classes on emerging research in evolution in 3-4 years... don't be a bio major.

If you pick any science major (not including more unique majors like neurosci or a psych major) then you're going to be taking pretty much the same classes as any other science major, which are also most of your pre-med pre-reqs. It's in your 3rd and 4th years that things really diverge.

Basically, look ahead, and see what will keep you sane for the next 3-4 years, and maybe throw in a minor to spice things up. I'm finishing up a philosophy minor because that's another field I enjoy. All other things being equal, I doubt med schools have a quota based on applicants' majors.

double major in chemistry!!

As a fellow Chemistry/Biology double major...

I say: NO WAY! Don't do it, Chemistry/Physics/Engineering are all very dumb majors to pick up.

Pick something easy and fun that you'll talk to patients about when you get older, like HISTORY or something really cool like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do Bio majors need to do to stand out? - not be bio majors.

It must be the most uncreative choice of majors out there for a pre-med.

If you really love it, more power to you...but it is like getting a degree in history or something? What else can you do with it besides teach or go to graduate school?
what a stupid thing to say. Every major is going to have it limits of what you can do with it after you graduate.

You don't need to do anything, and I think SDN kinda overrates the whole "majoring in something else makes you stand out" thing. Regardless of major, if you are a quality applicant you should have a strong chance of getting in somewhere.
completely agree. This has been at least mentioned in almost every "what should I major in" thread. whos cares what you major in, complete the med school pre-reqs, do well on the mcat, and have a good application.

I say: NO WAY! Don't do it, Chemistry/Physics/Engineering are all very dumb majors to pick up.

Pick something easy and fun that you'll talk to patients about when you get older, like HISTORY or something really cool like that.
seeing as how most docs will have gone to undergrad many, many, many years ago by the time they reach this "older" stage means they probably dont remember much from undergrad. being able to talk to your patients about fun and interesting things comes from be an outgoing, well rounded person. thats shows on your application and doesnt necessarily come from your choice of degree

F*** everyone else... if you love Biology, like I do, then go study it! Adcoms know most people with the drive to pursue medicine are people who genuinely love science (sort of makes sense, no?). You want to stick out? Be a Bio major and be good at it! And don't let it run your life; go do other things that interest you! Or, be uber-bio major and do lots of research/clinical trials and stick out that way!

adcoms do not care what major you choose.

more importantly, choose an area that will interest you. You are more likely to earn a higher gpa, which adcoms do care about.

Indecent exposure during the interview.

An interesting minor, something that isn't science. A political science minor might be interesting, it would definitely give you an edge on the "problems in american healthcare" questions :)

I doubled in Chemistry and Philosophy.

Degree choice doesn't really matter to many Med-school admins. But, a degree in Bio or Chem does give you a real head start in the learning of the subject matter ahead...

Last edited:
Have a life and describe it in your personal statement.

Don't build your life around your desire to be an MD -save that for med school : ).

Major in whatever you think will guaruntee you the highest GPA at the very end. This will increase your chances of being able to smell tons of Formaldehyde later in your educational career.

A personality!

I LOVE BIOLOGY!!! I'm that annoying guy at the front of the class asking all the questions in Ani Bio. I am getting a minor in Chemistry and Music:)eyebrow:) but not to stand out - just because they interest me in well. Don't make your major about standing out because adcoms will see that. They want people will passion and dedication for things that they love, so show them you have that by finding something you love.

biology is lame

A real yet insignificant head start.

If you think that you aren't behind a Bio or Chem major at the start of Med-school with your Art History degree with the minimum pre-med courses... well...

Last edited:
I don't know how much weight this will have on your decision. But I read a post here recently (from a medical student) who said that those who did not major in the sciences had a much more difficult time acclimating to the medical school environment. I'm not saying all non science majors have this happen, but it might be something to take into consideration.

Double major in Biology / Philosophy

Biology and medicine need critical thinkers

If you think that you aren't behind a Bio or Chem major at the start of Med-school with your Art History degree with the minimum pre-med courses... well...
Haha, but science majors might be behind in their reading comprehension abilities...

Many non-science majors will still take a few non-required science courses if they're going to medical school. Given that quite a few of the courses these science majors require have no relevance to medical school, and the courses that are related generally cover only a superficial amount of material compared to the medical school courses. So yeah, I'll repeat, biology majors (and to a lesser extent, Chemistry majors) will be at an advantage in terms of material covered but it's very minor.

F*** everyone else... if you love Biology, like I do, then go study it! Adcoms know most people with the drive to pursue medicine are people who genuinely love science (sort of makes sense, no?). You want to stick out? Be a Bio major and be good at it! And don't let it run your life; go do other things that interest you! Or, be uber-bio major and do lots of research/clinical trials and stick out that way!
You said it partner. I really like biology classes...always amazing to see how complex things in our body are and their amazing functions ...sort of made me wanna go into medicine. But take courses you like. I also liked math a lot..took calc 1,2,3...some advanced math classes. Also took some computer programming courses as well as art (another one of my interests). So saying that we do biology only for GPA or to satisfy requirements, is purely wrong and makes me sick.

If you're a science major your major won't make that much of a difference anyway so just major in Bio. The reason there so many bio majors are in and applying is because it simply works.

This is perfect advice. It's all about being true to yourself, following what you are passionate about, and being stellar at it.

Adcoms don't care what you majored in. Just pick something you like. Being a bio major doesn't give you any sort of an edge, neither does majoring in philosophy.

Don't be a bio major! Be a political science major like me!

There is no stigma associated with a major in Biology. If you want to stand out, then do well. The single most impressive thing that you can have is a very strong uGPA across the board. If you can further translate that high uGPA into a very competitive score on the Medical College Admissions Test, doors will open for you. The biggest problem is that many biology premed majors just don't perform at a very high level throughout their undergraduate years. Work hard and put together a completely competitive application. This will allow you to "stand out".

Apply to law school.

A major/concentration in Microbiology (I had 3 courses Gen Micro/Lab, Med Micro, and Virology along with TAing the Micro lab twice) will give you an edge when it comes to second year. Trust me. It's the only class I've honored (Top 15 percentile) so far in med school. I've been close many times but was off by a question or two each time.

I guess a large part of it is that I enjoy it, but it definitely helps to know all of the lab techniques, medical microbiology concepts, and a very very important thing being which are gram +, -, and acid fast. (Especially for choosing an antibiotic or which ones have LPS or some other toxins). Plus, it allowed me to study less since I have a good memory with things I am interested in so that was nice.

Other than micro, it would probably help having basic knowledge in genetics, biochemistry, and phys. You certainly don't have to major in biology but if you enjoy it then definitely take it. You can easily minor in biology to take these types of courses and major in something else. You can stand out by doing some interesting theses in areas not related to biology. For example, something in literature, arts, or humanities will be highly regarded when it comes to applying to medical school. They want to see that you are first and foremost human, are able to observe things beneath the surface, and are able to think rationally and in an abstract sense (tested by verbal reasoning). Though what I wrote about was MAP Kinase Phosphatases so yeah do what you like.

Last edited:
take lots of interesting classes inside and outside your major..
do stuff that isnt cookie-cutter that show you have passion in what you are studying and in other things too.. idk what kind of answers you were expecting, but that's the best i've got.

I think its funny how people think that getting a Non Science degree Helps them in a big way.

Ya it makes you stand out, but it makes you stand out by having Adcoms look through your application more critically, and every little bad thing just adds to the idea that,

"either this person is not very good at science classes and went with their major because they were looking for an easy way out"

or

"if someone really loves science and medicine why are they spending four years of their life studying in a humanities major? Maybe they would enjoy another career better then medicine since they liked it enough to major in it"

Haha! When I first decided that I wanted to be a bio major I was shocked that it was the most popular major at the university, and I didn't understand why because I certainly didn't know that many people in high school who were so interested in biology.

I know that at first I harbored a bit of resentment that so many people wanted to go that route because their real interest was in professional schools, while mine was simply in biology.

I find it funny that along the way many of them have switched, or will switch both their majors and their goals, but I'm not only sticking with bio because I'm still enthusiastic about it, but also decided that the medical route was the most appropriate one for me to follow.

That is a good story! lol But no I totally agree with you. I decided I was in love with Biology in 9th grade (though even before that I loved science) and have stuck to it. I have always wanted to go medical (though I switched from wanting to be a vet to an MD in like Middle School) and I love it. I think as long as you enjoy Biology, and are (at least somewhat) passionate about it, your application will not be hurt by majoring in bio.