What do employers look for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

suckstobeme

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think we talk a lot about what to look for in practice opportunities, but what do employers look for in new hires?

If you want to get hired at a particular hospital/group what can you do to increase your chances?

I'd really appreciate info from both employers and anybody that has recently been through the process. I'm still like a yr away from really looking for a job, but i guess its never too early to be thinking about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think we talk a lot about what to look for in practice opportunities, but what do employers look for in new hires?

If you want to get hired at a particular hospital/group what can you do to increase your chances?

I'd really appreciate info from both employers and anybody that has recently been through the process. I'm still like a yr away from really looking for a job, but i guess its never too early to be thinking about it.

I have heard of very competitive places in Denver having "recruits" work for FREE for A MONTH so that the group and staff can get to know them first. :thumbdown:

In our current group, we tend to hire people who are 2 yrs out of residency. We also like to hire people that someone in the group knows. Luckily, we haven't really had any turnover, but hire as we expand....

When I worked at Kaiser in LA, we had a large per diem pool, so we hired from the pool as we got to know them.

It never hurts to have ties to the city/region the group is in. We as a specialty tend to pick up and leave jobs frequently and from the group's perspective you're more likely to stay if you have ties or roots in their community. Moonlighting experience is something that several community groups asked me about and were happy to see as well.