what do I do? give up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tms01234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't care if anyone on here labels me a gunner. go right ahead.

I'm almost positive I failed my chemistry lab exam today. I know that there are four that I definitely got wrong so that's 20 points right there. I studied but I feel as though I didn't study enough and when I got to the exam I suddenly forgot many things that I was supposed to know. two were math problems and one was a definitional short answer. one was a molecule asking for 3D structures.

This is a gen chem lab and it is supposed to be easy. It is just one credit hour. I got an 89 on the last exam but I really think that I bombed this one badly. The professor doesn't do any makeup exams so my grade is potentially screwed.

my cumulative GPA is a 3.72 and my science and math GPA is really low at a 3.36. I've only taken introductory classes (2 Bio, 1 remedial chem and 1 algebra class).

with every exam I take I feel as though it is between life and death with my future. everytime I take an exam it's like "If I fail then I won't get into medical school". It's crazy and it upsets me so much. I don't know what to do. Is it worth it, going at this rate?

should I just stop with the pre-med program?

I don't know; give me your thoughts, advice, etc. :(

**by the way, I'm in my second year and I plan on doing undergrad for five years

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Personally, the neuroticism about school fades off over time.

I'm almost positive I failed my chemistry lab exam today. I know that there are four that I definitely got wrong so that's 20 points right there. I studied but I feel as though I didn't study enough and when I got to the exam I suddenly forgot many things that I was supposed to know. two were math problems and one was a definitional short answer. one was a molecule asking for 3D structures.

This is a gen chem lab and it is supposed to be easy. It is just one credit hour. I got an 89 on the last exam but I really think that I bombed this one badly. The professor doesn't do any makeup exams so my grade is potentially screwed.

my cumulative GPA is a 3.72 and my science and math GPA is really low at a 3.36. I've only taken introductory classes (2 Bio, 1 remedial chem and 1 algebra class).

with every exam I take I feel as though it is between life and death with my future. everytime I take an exam it's like "If I fail then I won't get into medical school". It's crazy and it upsets me so much. I don't know what to do. Is it worth it, going at this rate?

You just need to relax, and study smarter. Don't treat any classes like "they're supposed to be easy" that is a recipe for disaster. Give each class time of day, study, and then stop studying! Don't gun for the 4.0...be responsible with your time and make the most of your study time (don't try to memorize textbooks end to end trying to learn every detail), and then be strong enough to give yourself free time.

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed a quarter of organic chemistry and I'm starting medical school this fall.

Take solace in the fact that one bad grade won't prevent you from getting to medical school. You said you felt that you didn't study enough--try studying harder and more efficiently. All you can do is your best, so do your best and be content with the way things work out. There's nothing else you can do, and stressing out about what you can't control is a huge mistake. So focus on what you can control and remember to keep things in perspective.

Don't give up. The fact that it is a one credit course means that it won't hurt your gpa much at all. Just try to figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it. Some of your issues may occur because of your mentality going into exams. If you continue to think that way, your stress level is going to be thru the roof and it can definitely affect your performance on exams. Do what you can to get that science gpa up, but give yourself some credit for your great cgpa. Don't be so tough on yourself. I know it's easier said than done, but you've really got to change your mentality.