What do I do if I don't get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 870

The Member...
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok. I applied to four schools. My state school (AR), BU, Tufts, and an osteopathic school. Not enough, I know. I've been rejected by BU and the osteopathic school. I am on the Alternates list at my state school. I've heard nothing from Tufts, and I don't expect to.

My GPA: 3.97
MCAT: First time: 26P (V-11, P-8, B-7) Second time: 24M (V-9, P-7, B-8)

Obviously I don't test well. I took an experimental prep course offered by my state medical school, which used retired MCAT exams. My diagnostic score was a 21. My exit test score was a 29---Reality didn't live up to my expectations.

I have shadowed a GP, a Psychiatrist, and an Anesthesiologist. I had good (in my opinion) personal LOR and faculty LOR's. My extracurriculars were plentiful, but not too much as to imply shallow involvement. I held a few club offices, was voted into student government, and had a track record of volunteerism (not in a hospital setting, but at a Hispanic community center--I'm a Spanish minor). Honestly, besides my MCAT score, I dunno what I lacked. I was shocked to be put on the Alt-list at my state school. Others in my class got in over me with lower GPA's, MCATs, EC's. I may be paranoid, but I think some back-room deals were made; strings may have been pulled.....Anyway, my point is: What do I do for the next year? It's pretty much too late to apply for grad school or PA school. My parents won't let me live at home when I graduate. Basically, I need suggestions for how I should go about my reapplication year.

Should I take the Kaplan course this summer while I work? Should I redo my AMCAS at the same time? During the fall and spring, should I try to get a job as a hospital orderly while I wait for interview invitations? I apologize for this long post, but I just feel overwhelmed, shocked, and slightly angry--mostly at myself...

Members don't see this ad.

With your application you should of def. got into a school. You applied too narrowly. Get a job, retake the MCAT, and apply next year more broadly. Serve your time and repeat the process...

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was at UMich, the director of admissions mentioned the critical thinking ability required to be an excellent physician only roughly correlated to a 24 or 26 on the MCAT. You are obviously smart enough to be a doctor. Try again and apply more broadly :thumbup:

I am curious why you decided to apply to the boston schools and not others.

stop beating yourself up, become a working man, save up some loot, travel the world with the money you saved up, and then take the MCAT again. keep taking it until you get 28+ which should be good enough to get in somewhere. just keep trying, you will get in.

When I was at UMich, the director of admissions mentioned the critical thinking ability required to be an excellent physician only roughly correlated to a 24 or 26 on the MCAT. You are obviously smart enough to be a doctor. Try again and apply more broadly :thumbup:

Boston is the city I've always wanted to go to med-school in. I love the place, but I applied there mainly because I have a built-in support system there. I have family nearby. My girlfriend's family is closer (in Canada). And I have many friends in the area.

I would try to retake the MCAT if you can get your score up. Then apply more broadly in the next cycle and you should be okay.
How many schools should I apply to next time, and is it possible for me to take the Kaplan this summer, the MCAT in August, all while reapplying? Or would it be too late by then?

Ok. I applied to four schools. My state school (AR), BU, Tufts, and an osteopathic school. Not enough, I know. I've been rejected by BU and the osteopathic school. I am on the Alternates list at my state school. I've heard nothing from Tufts, and I don't expect to.

Obviously I don't test well. I took an experimental prep course offered by my state medical school, which used retired MCAT exams. My diagnostic score was a 21. My exit test score was a 29---Reality didn't live up to my expectations.

I have shadowed a GP, a Psychiatrist, and an Anesthesiologist. I had good (in my opinion) personal LOR and faculty LOR's. My extracurriculars were plentiful, but not too much as to imply shallow involvement. I held a few club offices, was voted into student government, and had a track record of volunteerism (not in a hospital setting, but at a Hispanic community center--I'm a Spanish minor). Honestly, besides my MCAT score, I dunno what I lacked. I was shocked to be put on the Alt-list at my state school. Others in my class got in over me with lower GPA's, MCATs, EC's. I may be paranoid, but I think some back-room deals were made; strings may have been pulled.....Anyway, my point is: What do I do for the next year? It's pretty much too late to apply for grad school or PA school. My parents won't let me live at home when I graduate. Basically, I need suggestions for how I should go about my reapplication year.

Should I take the Kaplan course this summer while I work? Should I redo my AMCAS at the same time? During the fall and spring, should I try to get a job as a hospital orderly while I wait for interview invitations? I apologize for this long post, but I just feel overwhelmed, shocked, and slightly angry--mostly at myself...

To be honest, I took the Kaplan course, and although the materials helped me (which you can purchase from a book store / online), the actual course itself did not. Studying for the MCAT (which seems to be your biggest hurdle) should be individual in the sense that you need to set aside time to study on your own, and then working in groups quizzing each other to help solidify what you learned (by teaching it to others).

I'm curious as to how your score went from a 26 to a 24. More stress? Perhaps taking a test anxiety course will help too.

Either way, I think you would agree with me that if you can increase your MCAT, you are set. Good luck and never give up if being a doctor is truly what you want to do.

Study about 4 hours/day for the next year for the April MCAT. Take a Kaplan full exam online every month - you need to shoot for a 30+. Your P and B scores are low, and so you've got to raise them. Apply to at least 15 schools, half of which should be DO schools. Submit everything at the earliest dates. Fill the rest of your time with clinical research. Get a premed advisor to help you improve your essays. Some may say that your MCAT scores are too low - ignore them for now.

Boston is the city I've always wanted to go to med-school in. I love the place, but I applied there mainly because I have a built-in support system there. I have family nearby. My girlfriend's family is closer (in Canada). And I have many friends in the area.

Boston is a popular city with only 3 med schools, and tons of undergrad premeds who want to stay in town. Harvard is everybody's longshot, and Tufts gets a ton of apps because of the funky way they look at repeat MCAT scores. Thus all the schools tend to get far more applications than the average med school. Your MCAT is simply prohibitive of getting into any of those three. Plan to spend whatever time it takes to beat that test, even if it requires you missing a test offering or two. Take a prep course. Buy problems books, and make scoring a balanced 30 your full time job.

How in heck did you get rejected from a DO school with a 26 and a 3.9 GPA??? That's allo numbers, though a little low on the MCAT. Everyones right though. Get a job, or do research, retake the MCAT, break 28 and apply broadly- you'll get in unless there is some other hole on your app which you're hiding. I only say this because I really don't get how you didn't get a DO slot.

Members don't see this ad :)

What congressional district are you from in AR?

With the new CBT MCAT you can take it a bit later. I would suggest May/ early June. And study like no other. Your verbal is set. Keep it up, don't brush it off.
Study your as off for ps and bio. they are the 2 sections you can easily boost your score in ( i really think that once a low verbal, always a low verbal). don't waste your money on a class. you seem to have enough motivation to do it on your own. take the practice tests with some friends. even tho its on the computer now u can still do the old mcat's. the problems and ?'s don't change. just make sure you know the new format.
and yes, apply to more places.
study, make money, re-take mcat, apply broadly earlier. you're golden.

How in heck did you get rejected from a DO school with a 26 and a 3.9 GPA??? That's allo numbers, though a little low on the MCAT. Everyones right though. Get a job, or do research, retake the MCAT, break 28 and apply broadly- you'll get in unless there is some other hole on your app which you're hiding. I only say this because I really don't get how you didn't get a DO slot.
I applied to the DO school too late. They didn't get my complete packet until mid-November.

With the new CBT MCAT you can take it a bit later. I would suggest May/ early June. And study like no other. Your verbal is set. Keep it up, don't brush it off.
Study your as off for ps and bio. they are the 2 sections you can easily boost your score in ( i really think that once a low verbal, always a low verbal). don't waste your money on a class. you seem to have enough motivation to do it on your own. take the practice tests with some friends. even tho its on the computer now u can still do the old mcat's. the problems and ?'s don't change. just make sure you know the new format.
and yes, apply to more places.
study, make money, re-take mcat, apply broadly earlier. you're golden.
I would really prefer to apply again the very next admission cycle. I have to finish up a senior thesis, so I can't begin studying until May. Is it too late to take the MCAT in August while applying at the same time?

retake MCAT, get upto high 20s. i think it's definitely do-able if you take prep course. good luck!

The downward trend in your MCAT scores aren't doing you any favours. Luckily you have several opportunities to re-take the MCAT throughout the year. Study your ass off and take it when you feel confident about doing well on the test.

ARe you serious? A 24 or 26?

Nah, you need at least a 43, so you can can be like House and make insane deductions based on clues obtained from breaking into people's apartments. A 26 MCAT isn't going to let you deduce that pigeon poop is falling into the bootleg reservoir the cop is using to water his marijuana now, is it.

Anyways OP, yes you can apply while taking the MCAT a little later, but I wouldn't take it quite as late as August...maybe June/July? I'm not sure what's still available since the slots seem to fill up awfully fast.

But make sure you prep up really well this time, I think you have a shot at the low 30's if you work hard enough so...get at it.

And apply MUCH more broadly next time, and probably throw in a few more DO schools just in case.

I'd suggest a job as a research tech, the pay is nothing to brag home about, but you can survive on it, and also they will be sympathetic (hopefully) to you applying to med school.

Get the MCAT up, continue your clinical experience, and you should be good.

What you SHOULD do, is ask the institutions that rejected you what you could do to become more competitive for next year. See what they say and then take their advice into account. For your re-application year consider schools out of the country as well as a few more osteopathic schools. It is possible that your essay didn't stand out at all and didn't present you in your best light. You might want to consult someone about it. Good luck!:thumbup:

If everything you say is accurate, then the two biggest problems are you applying to too few schools and the downward trend in your MCAT score. That definately does not look good. So like everyone is saying. Redo that MCAT and really try to improve your score. Cuz the rest of your app sounds like it's there.

Not sure if you mentioned this but did you get interviews at those schools?