What do I do if I don't match pediatrics but still want to do peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricMan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My advisor told me that most scramble or have a backup in FM but what if I want to try again the next year for peds? Should I apply to pediatric preliminary programs? I don't really see an advantage of a research yr for peds. At this point should I just apply as broadly as I can and hope for the best or also apply FM and deal with it? I'm applying with a 480 comlex and no usmle so I'm pretty worried.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

My advisor told me that most scramble or have a backup in FM but what if I want to try again the next year for peds? Should I apply to pediatric preliminary programs? I don't really see an advantage of a research yr for peds. At this point should I just apply as broadly as I can and hope for the best or also apply FM and deal with it? I'm applying with a 480 comlex and no usmle so I'm pretty worried.

Why are you so worried? Do you have other red flags? Peds is one of the least competitive specialties and your comlex isn't even that bad. Do well on your peds rotations and get good letters.

Why are you so worried? Do you have other red flags? Peds is one of the least competitive specialties and your comlex isn't even that bad. Do well on your peds rotations and get good letters.

I wasn't as worried until I met with my residency advisor and she said I needed to apply to 80 places along with a backup because of my comlex, bottom quartile (83 gpa) and the fact that I didn't take USMLE. I just wanted others opinions because she made it seem like my chances were dismal unless I had a back up which I really don't feel like getting more LORs and having a new personal statement. Would I be okay just applying up to 100 places and not having a backup?

Members don't see this ad :)

Peds has gotten more popular and competitive over the past few years. I know a few people who haven't matched the first time around, but did the 2nd time.

OP, if I were you I would just apply broadly. If you really really don't want to do FM, then if you don't get in then I personally would do a TRI year. Re-evaluate during those first few months and redo your application applying again broadly to peds and back up to FM at that point.

I didn't get in to what I thought was my desired speciality the first time around. I did not want to scramble because I knew I'd likely end up at a program I didn't desire without the time to really analyze the program. I did a TRI year and matched successfully to my number 2 pick that time around. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

I've known 2 people who matched peds on their second go around. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I wasn't as worried until I met with my residency advisor and she said I needed to apply to 80 places along with a backup because of my comlex, bottom quartile (83 gpa) and the fact that I didn't take USMLE. I just wanted others opinions because she made it seem like my chances were dismal unless I had a back up which I really don't feel like getting more LORs and having a new personal statement. Would I be okay just applying up to 100 places and not having a backup?

Bah, I have seen Freida for Peds, its not that scary. Do some aways, look human and caring, you will be alright. I don't why your advisor thinks Peds is more competitive than Family. There seems to be way less interest in general. Also your average grade is a B. How in the world will that hurt you? I don't think it will. I completely agree with AME that you should do a TRI if you can't get in. Control what you can, but this is an achievable goal for you!

Reactions: 1 user
So is it getting more competitive or less so? I can't reason why interest would be growing.
I know that approx 6-8 people matched peds (with like 2 being IM/Peds) at my school last year compared to 40 for FM and like 50 for IM. That's why I say the interest is less. Plus a brief talk to my classmates shows that the lowest paying specialty with the highest demanding family (I actually don't believe this, but they do) is just not a recipe for appeal. AME may be right, it may be getting more competative, but when you start at the bottom, you don't have to go far to go up.

Update:
I’ve gotten 10 ACGME interviews so far including 2 good academic programs...it’s possible y’all.

Reactions: 9 users
1. Go to all 10
2. Rank all 10
3. ???
Profit

Reactions: 4 users
Update:
I’ve gotten 10 ACGME interviews so far including 2 good academic programs...it’s possible y’all.

Not many people follow up with updates in threads, so thanks and congrats. I hope you match high on your list!

Reactions: 2 users
I know that approx 6-8 people matched peds (with like 2 being IM/Peds) at my school last year compared to 40 for FM and like 50 for IM. That's why I say the interest is less. Plus a brief talk to my classmates shows that the lowest paying specialty with the highest demanding family (I actually don't believe this, but they do) is just not a recipe for appeal. AME may be right, it may be getting more competative, but when you start at the bottom, you don't have to go far to go up.

You're correct that there is less interest in peds overall than in FM, but there are also far fewer peds spots available.

That said OP is in fine shape.