what do i do? low gpa and low mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiefwiggum11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys. im new to posting here so im hoping you guys can help me out.

i just graduated with an overall UG gpa of 3.1 with a bcpm of around 2.7 and my mcat score is 25Q. im planning on retaking the mcat in november and im confident in my ability to break into the 30's (maybe even mid 30's?).

apparently my gpa is whats killing me. i applied to a couple of postbaccs and a smp (at Drexel and Temple) but the only thing i got into was the drexel ihs program, which i decided not to attend due to lack of information and guarantees.

if you guys can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. im open to DO schools and even though i was adamantly against it at one point, im beginning to warm up to the idea of the caribbean because its looking like my only option at this point. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty new here too. So take this with a grain of salt. Your sGPA is pretty low. I don't know about this post bacc stuff but is it possible to take more upper level classes in your major or minor if it's science related ( mine was: Major - Biology ; Minor - Chemistry ) for MD as I hear they average grades. Or retake the classes you bombed and go for DO schools. I am no expert but with a sgpa of 2.7 you will need to get into the high 30's and have EC's out the butt. Just my thoughts. I am no better, mine is 3.0 for MD and 3.1 for DO

With an MCAT score of 30+, you would have a better shot at getting into an SMP program. A steep upward recent grade trend is something you'd want on your record, especially in the sciences, so you might consider doing informal postbac coursework so as to demonstrate your potential to SMPs. Consider retaking any prerequisites that you did poorly in or didn't fully understand at the time you took the class, especially if your MCAT retake doesn't go as planned.

Also, consider taking advantage of the DO grade forgiveness policy where they only count the most recent grade when calculating your application GPA if you have a few isolated instances of really low grades.

Members don't see this ad :)

i just graduated with an overall UG gpa of 3.1 with a bcpm of around 2.7 and my mcat score is 25Q. im planning on retaking the mcat in november and im confident in my ability to break into the 30's (maybe even mid 30's?).

apparently my gpa is whats killing me. i applied to a couple of postbaccs and a smp (at Drexel and Temple) but the only thing i got into was the drexel ihs program, which i decided not to attend due to lack of information and guarantees.

if you guys can point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. im open to DO schools and even though i was adamantly against it at one point, im beginning to warm up to the idea of the caribbean because its looking like my only option at this point. thanks.

DO schools do not include math in your science GPA and do include "other science" courses so figure out what your sGPA is there. Also, like mentioned above, if there are one are two particularly bad grades you can retake those classes and drastically improve your GPA in a shorter amount of time.

If you are going to go for the MD route, you are going to need to break 30 on the MCAT and go to an SMP. Not many have a direct linkage program though so the best you may get as far as a guarantee is an interview if you are in the top X% of your class.

Either way, you need to retake and improve your MCAT and hopefully break 30. For what its worth, I have 2 DO interviews arranged for this cycle already with just under a 3.0 and >30 MCAT. Its possible, work and make sure your ECs are solid, do some repair work on the GPA and blow the MCAT out of the water. Also, apply early when you apply! (can't stress this enough)

If you can break 30+ in the MCAT, you will have a decent shot at some DO schools. Retake the MCAT and science classes that you have grades of C or lower in order to bring your sGPA to 3.0. If you want DO, I dont think you realy need a post bacc as long as you can get 30+ MCAT. That will save you money as you know med school is very expensive, you dont want to pile on a lot of debt even before starting med school. Try these stuff before heading to the carib....
Good luck