What do I do now that I'm in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

perpetuallylost

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm a freshman at a top 10 university, and I'm just so so lost. I've wanted to be a physician for as long as I remember, but I just don't really know how to get there from this point. Throughout high school I feel like I knew what I was supposed to be doing (classes, summer programs, extracurriculars, etc.), but now that I've "made it", I have no clue. I spent a majority of my first semester just adjusting to college and doing well in my classes (GPA: 3.85- 3.925), but I haven't involved myself in anything else (internships, research, clubs). How do I go about that? What should I be doing/focussed on to get into a top-tier medical school (my parents have expressed they won't pay a dime if it's not a good one)? Should I be studying for the MCAT already? I can just feel myself slipping through the cracks, and peaking in high school. HELP!

Also, is it worth applying to any summer programs if I don't have any research experience under my belt?

Members don't see this ad.

- Start getting some clinical and non-clinical volunteering. Non-clinical should be easy to find, try finding something you can be passionate about. For clinical look at hospitals, hospice, free clinics, etc.

- Look for summer programs that might get you some research experience. If not just get to know your professors and I'm sure you will find something. Shadowing might be easier to do in the summer as well. Ask you own PCP and take advantage of any family or friend contacts. If that doesn't work then start cold calling or walking into clinics with a CV.

- Build relationships with your professors so you can get LORs later. Visit during office hours (get to know them more than just asking questions about class) and participate in class.

- No need to start looking at MCAT stuff for a few semesters. Just focus on doing well in your classes and add ECs slowly so you don't get overwhelmed.

- I'm not a big fan of clubs and organizations but if you find something you enjoy then go for it and be involved. Don't just become a member of a bunch of crap for the hell of it.

Reactions: 1 user
- Start getting some clinical and non-clinical volunteering. Non-clinical should be easy to find, try finding something you can be passionate about. For clinical look at hospitals, hospice, free clinics, etc.

- Look for summer programs that might get you some research experience. If not just get to know your professors and I'm sure you will find something. Shadowing might be easier to do in the summer as well. Ask you own PCP and take advantage of any family or friend contacts. If that doesn't work then start cold calling or walking into clinics with a CV.

- Build relationships with your professors so you can get LORs later. Visit during office hours (get to know them more than just asking questions about class) and participate in class.

- No need to start looking at MCAT stuff for a few semesters. Just focus on doing well in your classes and add ECs slowly so you don't get overwhelmed.

- I'm not a big fan of clubs and organizations but if you find something you enjoy then go for it and be involved. Don't just become a member of a bunch of crap for the hell of it.

This is exactly what I was looking for! Any other tips?

Members don't see this ad :)
Have fun. Seriously, have fun. Make new friends, try new activities, branch out from your comfort zone. Undergrad is not solely to prepare you for a top MD school.

just do whats interesting to you and gain exposure clinically (volunteer, shadow etc.).

but remember that GPA should always be your #1 priority.

If you do longitudinal volunteering that isn't too demanding on your schedule (like 2-4 hours per week) and maintain it for several years, that will reflect extremely well on you.