What do I do now to get into pharm school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsplash313

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to this site(or at least the pharmacy forums) and was hoping someone could offer advice/info for me on what I would need at this point to get accepted into pharmacy school (I had not intended on this path until recently, so I apologize for my ignorance in the area..)

I have a BS in human biology with a 3.67 GPA. (I graduated this past spring). I was pre-med for awhile so I have taken all of the bio/chem/physics courses that I believe I would need for pharm school as well. I did neurobio research for 2 years and volunteered at hospitals for all 4 years in undergrad. No experience volunteering in a pharmacy though...

What position am I in to apply for pharm school at this stage?

What else do I have to do to be considered a competitive applicant? (I assume I have to take and do well on the PCAT?)

Thank you so much for any advice :)

Members don't see this ad.

Your grades are very strong, and you do have great experience. You are correct that you will need to take the PCAT and score around or above the 70th percentile (comoposite).

Since you still need to take the PCAT, you will have to wait until next year to apply (Most schools take the January PCAT into consideration for next years admission cycle). During that year, try to get a job in the field of pharmacy, or anywhere you get direct patient exposure. If you cannot find paid employment, volunteer.

Research the schools you are interested in, and try to mold your application around their standards.

Finally, apply early- the earlier you apply, the better chance you have of getting into a school with rolling admissions. Even if your school of choice does not have rolling admissions, you will still know early in the cycle where you will get accepted.

Best of luck to you

Hello everyone I am new to this site(or at least the pharmacy forums) and was hoping someone could offer advice/info for me on what I would need at this point to get accepted into pharmacy school (I had not intended on this path until recently, so I apologize for my ignorance in the area..)

I have a BS in human biology with a 3.67 GPA. (I graduated this past spring). I was pre-med for awhile so I have taken all of the bio/chem/physics courses that I believe I would need for pharm school as well. I did neurobio research for 2 years and volunteered at hospitals for all 4 years in undergrad. No experience volunteering in a pharmacy though...

What position am I in to apply for pharm school at this stage?

What else do I have to do to be considered a competitive applicant? (I assume I have to take and do well on the PCAT?)

Thank you so much for any advice :)

www.pharmcas.org :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you go over all the requirements that pharmacy schools require? I had a few friends who were med students, and there were a few courses that they didn't have to take, but I did. Every school will obviously be different, but just make sure that you do indeed have all the requirements fulfilled.

Besides that, I'd definitely try to get some hands on pharmacy experience so that when it comes to the PS, you can explain why you ended up choosing pharmacy.

Also, if you haven't already, I would take a peek at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=198059

If you don't have a specific school in mind, you might still be able to apply this cycle. Some schools have February or March applications deadlines and I'm guessing that at least a few of those either don't require the PCAT or accept the January test. You even have time to take those random pre-reqs that you might not have like public speaking or economics.

First, why pharmacy? This will be the number one question you will get asked on essays and in interviews. So, let's hear it..