What do I do now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SomedayClinPhD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've applied 3 times to PhD programs, gotten an MA in General Psychology (graduated with a 3.91 too, lot of good that did :)) and now don't really know what to do with my life. I've always wanted to be a faculty member, but I'm getting to the point where it's becoming more and more apparent that the PhD isn't going to happen and it's becoming more and more of a burden on my family and support network to keep trying and not find some way to have a decently paying career (currently I work as a researcher for a little bit of money but not nearly enough to start a family with).

I really want to use my degree somehow, not just have it be a worthless piece of paper, but I don't really know what career options that aren't making no money are available to me. Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

There are some administrative positions at universities that require a Master's degree (in almost any discipline). These tend to pay well but are quite competitive. It may be something to look into.

You can often teach at community colleges (and some universities--albeit typically as an adjunct/instructor) with a master's degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry to hear that this has been such a tough process for you. One thing I would consider doing if you haven't already is to go over your application with a faculty member in your master's program or ask for feedback from the PhD programs you applied to. Some are willing to give feedback as to why they didn't choose you, and you could make modifications if something is standing out as holding you back and you would like to apply again.

I would also agree with what some of the others have said, if you enjoy teaching, I would suggest a community college since you could teach with a Master's Degree. I thought I wanted to teach at a university too, but after I started teaching undergrad students it was really awful at some points, and a waste of my time for some classes. Sometimes we are guided in ways that we didn't want, but in the end, its usually for the best.

Adjuncting can pay between $2-4,000/class. When you break down the hourly pay over the course of the term, it ain't much (it's not just lecture time you're committing to, but prep time, grading, emails, meeting with students, wrangling with administrators). You usually come out to little more than minimum wage. Right now, my friend is netting $651/month for one class at a four-year institution.

Perhaps adjuncting provides a little income supplement for someone who genuinely loves teaching, but it's probably not the better-paid career alternative OP appears to be seeking...

Have you only applied to clinical/counseling PhD programs? What about an experimental psych PhD? I cannot speak to how competitive you would be for one of those, but certainly some of your former profs might have an idea.

Best,
Dr. E

Have you only applied to clinical/counseling PhD programs? What about an experimental psych PhD? I cannot speak to how competitive you would be for one of those, but certainly some of your former profs might have an idea.

Best,
Dr. E
Do you know how long those programs take? I'm getting to the point where I don't want to be in a program for too long. So far I've only really been looking at clinical or school psychology

I myself have never looked into them, but my sense is they can be a little shorter than clinical because you do not have the practicum or internship component. However, I would caution you, that length of time in program depends very much on the specific program and/or advisor.

I also have no idea about how non-clinical programs work in giving credit for stuff done at the MA level. Worth investigating.

Lots of luck!
Dr. E