Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What do I DO? Plz Help!!!!

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Phantomty85, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Phantomty85

This will be my third attempt at MD schools.
    On my first try, I had 3.3 - 27 MCAT (this was from my 2nd take on MCAT, 1st - 23).
    On my second try, I had 3.35 - 28 MCAT.

Now after a year, I've raised my gpa to slightly above 3.4 (with community college courses). I also was able to get 36 on MCAT (9 VR, 14 PS, 13 BS, P).

I do have nearly four years of research experience with two manuscript publications on major journals as well as some shadowing and volunteer experiences. I have also been a collegiate athlete (wrestling) and participated in numerous non-clinical community service activities such as serving the homeless or teaching in underserved communities. I also had some leadership roles (ex: club president, interfraternity council member, and etc.)

I also have participated in a couple of international medical missions as my future interest lies on participating in international/rural medicine.

Many people have been telling me that I probably don't have a chance of getting into any US MD schools with four takes on MCAT and such a low gpa and should try DO or Carib MD schools. Would you say the same? I also would like to know, if I do have any chance at US MD schools, which schools I should apply to (I am a CA resident). I would appreciate any comment or suggestion. Thank you very much.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the 36 MCAT can help you get in somewhere. Just apply broad and early.

How did you improve that much on the MCAT?

I might have to take it again and would love a jump like that. I am upper 20's right now.

Thanks,

4. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Holy cow! An eight point jump in the MCAT score. I don't care what "many people" have told you, but anyone who can stick to a goal like you have and do what it takes to increase their MCAT by 13 points since the first take, is certainly going to get a good looking at by adcomms, a 3.4 GPA not withstanding. After all this time, I think your ECs are probably pretty meaty, and all that research and publications are frosting on the cake. The only thing you've done wrong is to live in California.

I can't create a complete list of schools for you, as I only applied in the midwest, but if you're open to relocating, consider UIllinois and Rosalind Franklin (both love Californians), Loyola (loves a ton of community service), and Rush.

5. J ROD

J ROD Watch my TAN walk!!
    Rocket Scientist Physician Pharmacist Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    4 MCATs but results in a 36.

I think you will be fine because you went up each time.

If you do not get in for some reason, I would relocate to another state like GA, SC, NC, TX.

I know you would get in there.