Praying4EM

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone, I'm a MIV at a Caribbean med school hoping for ER. Though I'm tempted at asking the forbidden "what are my chances?", i'm going to bypass that and ask another question. Our school's schedule is a little different than US schools in that I will be graduating in the end of October. Obviously, that's a heck of a lot of time off unitl July so I have to find something to do. Initially, I was hoping to do something to make money (I thought of getting a real estate license and sell some houses w/ my brother to make some quick cash before starting residency (he took a 3 week course, got licensed and made 20k commision on his first sale - a 900k townhouse in DC!!)) and then taking some time off and traveling and stuff. But then I started thinking, and have been told, that it's a bad idea and that I need to do something medical, like research or something. Because it looks bad if I don't.

The reality of it is though, that even with an MD, without having residency training, how many options do I really have? I really don't want to spend all that time in some lab from 9-5 getting paid peanuts knowing I could have a better paying job or just self employ myself for a few months and make a lot more money. I was thinking if I did that, I could work partime and volunteer in the medical field, just to keep my skills sharp, but at least since it's volunteer, it would be more on my own terms and not as much time comittement leaving me time to make money and enjoy some time off with family and such.

So does anyone know, what do PD's really look for? Are they sympathetic to the fact that I need to make money to pay back loans and save up for residency, and maybe would even like to take advantage of some time for traveling and non-medical stuff, or is it going to come off looking like I'm not comitted to medicine and I should just focus on working in a hospital or something, no matter how dismal the pay? Or does anyone have suggestions on what jobs and MD can get w/o residency for less than a year's time? Any insight would be greatly appreciated...thanks!

ps - and if anyone knows of a way I can start residency before July during that time off, that would be even better!

positiveaob

10+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Praying4EM said:
Hi everyone, ...
I dont think there's a whole lot you can do with your medical degree without actually having a license. but my recommendation is to do alot of traveling and enjoy yourself while you can. I seriously doubt any PD will look at that and think your not dedicated to medicine.

turtle md

Hardware Included
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
just over there
Status
Attending Physician
I finished in December, and took the rest of Dec and Jan for interviews. Then I went on a road trip for a month and a half, visiting friends and family, making it back in time for the match. After that, I went to Europe for two months, visiting relatives in Sweden and making a pilgrimage in Spain.

Have some fun while you can, b/c once residency starts, you won't have a good chuck of time off again.

OP
P

Praying4EM

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm glad to hear that it's possible to actually enjoy yourself, or have a life without giving off the wrong impression that your not dedicated to medicine. I certainly want to volunteer, maybe mix it in w/ travel and do some relief work abroad, but it would be nice to have some time just completely to myself and also some time to work enough to have a few pennies in my pocket before residency starts.

margaritaboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2003
The Desert
Status
Attending Physician
Travel and enjoy yourself before your internship starts.