What do I do with Interviews but can't find research matches...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doodledreams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reposting from pre-allo: I've received interview offers for four excellent MD/PhD programs. However, I have a serious problem. I explicitly stated my research experience and interests in my application. The schools that are powerhouses in the research I'm interested in were not interested in me. On the other hand the schools that have given me interviews literally don't have anybody working in the research I'm interested in and want to invest my life in. :shrug:

I've looked around for 'similar' interests, but it's kind of like I'm just fishing to find someone who has some key word that matches something I've worked in. I feel like beggars can't be choosers. :thinking: The schools have excellent MD programs, and their research programs in other fields are great, and it would be an honor to be in any of them. I'm going to be interviewing at the end of this month, and I want to be able to convey my interest without this internal sense of disappointment. :happy:

Any thoughts? :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Be open to different research areas because you're interests will most certainly change by the time you start (and are going through) your graduate studies. What you study specifically is not that big of a deal - WHO you study under will make or break your time in grad school (or at least cause some level of undue stress). So my advice is to be open to the different PIs at each of your interviews.