What do I need to do to apply for Physical Medicine and Rehab (PM&R)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farrakh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am greatly interested in getting into a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) residency in the NY/NJ area, but I don't know what are the criteria to do so. I know that the first year is to be done in Internal Medicine. Do I apply into Internal Medicine through ERAS and then later apply to PM&R during my internship? Or, do I directly apply to PM&R and the residency program will help me get an Internal Medicine spot for the first year? I am terribly confused as to what the procedure is.

I am a recent graduate from UNIBE (Caribbean school) and I got an 82 (200) on step 1 (first attempt). I took Step 2 about 2 weeks ago (have NO clue how I might have done on that) and I'll be taking CSA in about a week. I already got my ERAS token and I'm working on the on-line application, but I really am lost as to what to do to apply for PM&R. Also, I did MANY volunteer hours in Physical Therapy centers and hospitals before going to Med school 'cuz I wanted to go to Physical Therapy school before. I have contacted the directors of the programs I worked in and I will be getting letters of rec's from them. Does anyone know if this is considered a strong asset towards getting a residency in a top-tier residency in NY/NJ (e.g. Kessler, NYU, etc.)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Farrakh:
•Hello,

I am greatly interested in getting into a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R) residency in the NY/NJ area, but I don't know what are the criteria to do so. I know that the first year is to be done in Internal Medicine. Do I apply into Internal Medicine through ERAS and then later apply to PM&R during my internship? Or, do I directly apply to PM&R and the residency program will help me get an Internal Medicine spot for the first year? I am terribly confused as to what the procedure is.

I am a recent graduate from UNIBE (Caribbean school) and I got an 82 (200) on step 1 (first attempt). I took Step 2 about 2 weeks ago (have NO clue how I might have done on that) and I'll be taking CSA in about a week. I already got my ERAS token and I'm working on the on-line application, but I really am lost as to what to do to apply for PM&R. Also, I did MANY volunteer hours in Physical Therapy centers and hospitals before going to Med school 'cuz I wanted to go to Physical Therapy school before. I have contacted the directors of the programs I worked in and I will be getting letters of rec's from them. Does anyone know if this is considered a strong asset towards getting a residency in a top-tier residency in NY/NJ (e.g. Kessler, NYU, etc.)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You•

I cannot comment on the details of PM&R (perhaps Stinky Tofu can find some time) but it is my understanding that PM&R, like all other 2nd year matches, generally requires you to apply for BOTH your internship year and your PGY2 year at the same time. Thus, when you match you will do so (hopefully) into both - your internship to start July 2002 and your PM&R residency to start July 2003.

Best of luck.

Thanx Kimberli,

I appreciate the advice.. I never even thought about this scenario (applying to both at the same time). I'm still trying to research this but I'm also hoping that Stinky Tofu has some time to reply...

Members don't see this ad :)
Kimberli is right on the money as usual, you do apply for both at the same time. By the way, you don't HAVE to do a prelim in medicine -- although I think Kessler and Baylor HIGHLY recommend that you do one. I know that at Harvard, at least two of us are doing a transitional year. Personally, I'd rather avoid doing a year in medicine if possible. :)

StinkyT,

I appreciate your prompt response.. in regards to applying to both Int Med and PM&R at the same time, how does that work? When I interview at an IM spot, do I tell them that I only want to be there a year - doesn't that reduce my chances of getting that spot? Also, if I interview at a PM&R spot, what do I tell them.. that I'll be ready to start in one year? Maybe I'm not making sense with these questions, but I'm not familiar with all this. :(

Gratze..

Originally posted by Farrakh:
•StinkyT,

I appreciate your prompt response.. in regards to applying to both Int Med and PM&R at the same time, how does that work? When I interview at an IM spot, do I tell them that I only want to be there a year - doesn't that reduce my chances of getting that spot? Also, if I interview at a PM&R spot, what do I tell them.. that I'll be ready to start in one year? Maybe I'm not making sense with these questions, but I'm not familiar with all this. :(

Gratze..•

You are applying for a PRELIMINARY IM spot, not the full kit and kaboodle of residency. Therefore, they only expect you to stay 1 year - ie, Categorical (some places have 2 year prelim spots). You'll see when you log onto ERAS that each program will ask you to select what specialty you are applying for, and what position - Preliminary or Categorical.

Don't worry - if you apply for Prelim the progams aren't expecting you to stay around for the full program. They won't let you (unless you desire to switch into a Categorical spot and they have an opening).