What do I need to do to be competitive for a very good academic IM Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pen_Man

Reaction score
I’m in the class of 2021

What kind of USMLE score would I need to match into an IM program like UCLA - Olive View (I’ve heard it’s a very good academic IM program, but idk if that’s true or not). They have a couple of DOs in the program now too, so I know they’re at least friendly to osteopaths.

It’s tough to gauge what kind of score one needs for a good IM program because matching IM can be super easy at one place and incredibly difficult at another based on what I’ve seen.

Should I be aiming for like a 235 when I take my board exams next year, or more like 260?

Also, is there a place where you can see the average USMLE scores of med students who matched to particular residency programs?

EDIT: Doesn’t have to be that specific program I mentioned above, any similarly good program can be substituted in its place. Just kind of wanna know what it takes

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The higher the better for great academic IM programs or popular community IM programs like Cedars Sinai. >240 is great and >250 is excellent.

Freida has average USMLE and COMLEX scores, if available

I’m in the class of 2021

What kind of USMLE score would I need to match into an IM program like UCLA - Olive View (I’ve heard it’s a very good academic IM program, but idk if that’s true or not). They have a couple of DOs in the program now too, so I know they’re at least friendly to osteopaths.

It’s tough to gauge what kind of score one needs for a good IM program because matching IM can be super easy at one place and incredibly difficult at another based on what I’ve seen.

Should I be aiming for like a 235 when I take my board exams next year, or more like 260?

Also, is there a place where you can see the average USMLE scores of med students who matched to particular residency programs?

EDIT: Doesn’t have to be that specific program I mentioned above, any similarly good program can be substituted in its place. Just kind of wanna know what it takes

More like 260. Or at least 240 or something. And good letters of rec. And depending on what you mean by very good, you may need research too.

I just looked up the program. I wouldn't call two DO's in a 60 something resident program DO friendly, just not totally exclusionary. If it's your dream program, give it a shot, but I wouldn't get my heart set on that program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m in the class of 2021

Olive view isn't really a very academic program (that's Ronald Reagan, the main site), but it's known for great clinical training with an academic affiliation. It's not the most competitive program for US MDs (I have data on 3 incoming US MD residents, 2 with steps in the low 200s and 1 in the 210s, no AOA or publications), but you want to score as high as possible as a DO, especially for better academic programs. A 235 should give you a competitive shot for Olive View.

Reactions: 1 users
Do as well as you can on boards, 235+ with USMLE is a reasonable goal. Obviously the higher the better but that is a solid place to start. Along those lines, I also think having step 2 completed for your application is helpful as well. Try to do your medicine rotations and sub-I's at a hospital with an ACGME IM residency so 1) you know what to expect from residency and 2) you can get LORs, specifically from someone such as a program director or assistant program director if possible. These letters will help show that you did well in an academic environment and validate your clinical experience, in my opinion. I think research of some sort could be helpful if you can swing it but I personally did not do any clinical research as a med student prior to applying.

Do as well as you can on boards, 235+ with USMLE is a reasonable goal. Obviously the higher the better but that is a solid place to start. Along those lines, I also think having step 2 completed for your application is helpful as well. Try to do your medicine rotations and sub-I's at a hospital with an ACGME IM residency so 1) you know what to expect from residency and 2) you can get LORs, specifically from someone such as a program director or assistant program director if possible. These letters will help show that you did well in an academic environment and validate your clinical experience, in my opinion. I think research of some sort could be helpful if you can swing it but I personally did not do any clinical research as a med student prior to applying.

Are you at an academic IM residency now or about to start one? If so, would you mind if I PM’ed you to ask a few more specific questions?

The higher the better for great academic IM programs or popular community IM programs like Cedars Sinai. >240 is great and >250 is excellent.

Freida has average USMLE and COMLEX scores, if available

People matched cedars Sinai with 230 and even lower this year.

Olive view is one of the “safer” California IM residencies, OP. As stated above I also know someone who matched there in the 210’s. A 230 is fine for the mid and low tier academic affiliates in Cali.

Olive view is one of the “safer” California IM residencies, OP. As stated above I also know someone who matched there in the 210’s. A 230 is fine for the mid and low tier academic affiliates in Cali.

Are those people who matched Cedars with 230 and lower DO students?

How hard is it to match UCSD IM as a DO?

Probably near impossible considering they dont have a single DO resident in their entire medicine department including prelims, PGY1-3 categoricals, or med-peds.

Reactions: 3 users

Pretty sure you would need higher than a 230 coming from DO school. The people I know who matched there had higher scores coming from MD schools.

Last edited:
How hard is it to match UCSD IM as a DO?

Interviewed there last cycle and ranked it number 1 but didn't match. So I think they will interview DOs, but I am not sure if they will rank you highly enough to match.

Reactions: 1 users
Would FMGs with >270 have a shot at competitive IM residencies?

Depends if you are a FMG or an IMG. There are usually a few FMGs if you look at the roster for top IM programs such as MGH or Hopkins, but they are usually very qualified and have tons of research.

I’m a FMG. Thanks for your insight. Would you say the normal university programs would be in reach or only IMG friendly community programs?

I’m not sure honestly. I suspect they should be in reach?

The FMGs that do match at top programs often have connections too. For instance, they’ve published research with some of the faculty or have done research fellowships there.

I’m a FMG. Thanks for your insight. Would you say the normal university programs would be in reach or only IMG friendly community programs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a 260+ I’d be surprised if you didn’t at least get some interviews to decent IM programs. Get some research, start making US connections for letters. If you hustle you might be surprised.