What do I use to decide what programs to apply to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bluesaurus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any one have any resources that he\she used to read about programs?

I finally have all my letters and statements done and such, but I need to select programs for IM residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Any one have any resources that he\she used to read about programs?

I finally have all my letters and statements done and such, but I need to select programs for IM residency.

Once you determine whether you are looking to train at a community program or an academic one, I would browse their websites to get a feel for opportunities at a given program and then turn to the Bible - SDN!

Oakream is right, those are your 2 primary sources of information. FRIEDA will be your primary source of a standard set of objective facts. You will have to go to each program's website for further information, such as fellowship match list, EMR availability, call schedule, rotation schedule, extra benefits, and other miscellaneous information.

Other more subjective impressions of programs are mostly based on reputation and 2nd hand information from acquaintances. 1st hand information is better, such as from a current resident, but often difficult to obtain by the typical med student who is only starting to send out applications. Much of the 1st hand impressions will come during your visits and contacting the residents you meet at the interviews.

For people who don't have much of an idea about where to apply, I found that setting and prioritizing criteria to narrow the possibilities to be helpful. For example, type of institution, geographic location, distance from family, type of city, fellowship opportunities, size of program, ABIM pass rate, etc. If you have some absolute criteria, those are the easy ones with which to filter out your choices, such as if you absolutely want a program in a particular state.

Other people already have an idea about where they want to train. But keep an open mind for new information that could change how you see programs, and also keep in mind that subjective information could be skewed by point of view. You also should not limit your choices to a very small number. You can apply to however many programs that you want. Just decline interview offers in a timely manner if you decide not to accept. Your goal should be to choose programs where you think you will be comfortable working for 3+ years and obtain the proper training and opportunities for your career goals. Rank smart, don't scramble.

I hope your med school also has advisors or lecture about the application process, how to go about on your interviews?