What do MDs and clinicians do with their MBAs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mac_kin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some physicians, particularly anesthesiologists, are often clinicians but also part of the hospital administration and play a role in making strategic decisions regarding hospital management. Many of these physician admins have MBAs and can also practice as well.

Some physicians, particularly anesthesiologists, are often clinicians but also part of the hospital administration and play a role in making strategic decisions regarding hospital management. Many of these physician admins have MBAs and can also practice as well.

Particularly anesthesiologists? I don't have the statistics, but I don't think anesthesiology represents a larger portion of hospital administration than other fields.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's anecdotal, but that's just what I've heard from the anesthesiologists I've shadowed in different hospitals. They said because anesthesiologists are most often most closely tied to the hospital (being a direct employee, working almost exclusively within the hospital, etc.) so they tend to choose to take more administrative roles in their workplace.

What kind of options in pharmaceuticals and legal careers are open to MD/MBAs?

what about private equity? I heard thats what pays the most out of all the options for MD/MBAs or MD's that don't want to practice.