Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

What do med schools consider an "English" class.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by CalBear2009, Dec 9, 2008.

1. CalBear2009

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I am a Bio-Engineering Major, and in order to graduate on time, I have basically had to take only classes that satisfy graduation requirements. Because of this I have only taken one semester of an official English class (passing out of one semester for AP). A lot of schools require 2 semesters of English.
    I have taken a theater class where were read, analyzed, and wrote about plays. Can this be considered English since we basically did the same as any other English class, but we only focused on plays?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 CalBear2009, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  2. JackInTheBox

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've never seen a school require more than a year on English, but I could be mistaken. If I were you, I'd check with the schools to see what their policy is on using AP credits to satisfy pre-requisites. If they don't take them, then I'd ask them about the theater class. As a last resort, I'd just suck it up and take another English/literature/composition class.

3. Emmet2301

10+ Year Member

Could a history course that also counts as an English course count in this case? At my school we have classes that are history, but fill an English requirement. Is this ok?

4. RevivedPreMed

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You should call the schools you're interested in.

5. KippocalypsE

KippocalypsE Faith in evolution
    2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm BME and I understand what you are going through. I wasn't required to take English classes to graduate so it wasn't until senior year did I realize I needed to complete some. Here are some general guidelines that fulfill the requirement:

- Any Reading/Rhetoric class specifically dealing with improving your essay writing abilities.
    - Any class that explores and analyzes fiction, poetry, or prose.
    - Any class with ENGLISH or WRITING in the class description

As far as classes that fill one requirement (i.e. History) and English at the same time, it would be school dependent so you need to call and ask (unfortunately this is easier said than done). Remember, when you fill out your AMCAS application each class can only represent one category, not two.

Anecdotally, I was told that it is best to take a class that was UNDOUBTABLY an English course. So I took some poetry and fiction classes even though some of my UD labs fulfilled the biology and English prerequisites.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. apgar

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, different medical schools have different policies regarding this so it is best to call them to ask. I have heard that the safest thing to do is to take classes that are designated as ENG classes, but it seems like this really isn't possible in your case. Good luck figuring this out!

7. xrevision

xrevision Senior Procrastinator
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    History... counting as an english class? Thats kinda pushing it.