What do med schools want to see in update letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

throwawayftw

Reaction score
There are a few schools that I'm going to send update letters because I'm on pre-II hold (and figure why not) or post-II silence. I'm a nontrad so I don't have grade updates, just a paper submitted (but not accepted) and some volunteer work.

I'm just trying to figure what schools are looking for.

Members don't see this ad.

Are the schools where you are on pre-II hold still offering invites?
What did the post -II schools say about update letters?
From what you have shared you really don’ t have anything to update at this point. A submitted paper means nothing really. Wait until it’s been accepted and you have a publication date. What volunteer work do you have that you want to report? Does it fill a hole you had in your primary? Did you mention this on you initial application as an activity you were continuing through the cycle? Did you mention this during your interview? How many hours do you have in this activity?

There are a few schools that I'm going to send update letters because I'm on pre-II hold (and figure why not) or post-II silence. I'm a nontrad so I don't have grade updates, just a paper submitted (but not accepted) and some volunteer work.

Pre-II hold is tough. Most places are done with interviews on the allopathic side of the house and probably would only consider you if they somehow anticipate not filling their class. If you have specific targets based on geography, you should connect with them and get insight in a potential reapplication.

I believe some of my schools are still sending out IIs for only a few more weeks.
That's why I'm inclined to send out a half-baked update letter. Does anyone have a story of an update letter that really moved the needle?

Members don't see this ad :)
They are looking for things that will be a deciding factor between interviewing/accepting or not. Submitting a paper and a few more volunteering hours don't meet that criterion for me.

Something significant and new.