What do med schools want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitestripes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I considered myself a strong applicant: go to a good UC, 3.72 GPA cum, 3.72 BPCM, 38 MCAT. I've got good research experience, doctor shadowing, leadership positions. I applied to over 30 schools, and was complete at most of them in early September.

I'm a CA resident, so I applied to all the UCs. I got rejected pre-secondary by UCSF--how do they screen primaries? I thought it was only numbers, but apparently not. (They don't want my money?!)

Got rejected post secondary from UCI.
On hold for interview at UCSD.
On hold for interview at George Washington.
Rejected: Georgetown, BU, U Chicago.

Have had 3 interviews at SLU (waitlist), Case Western (hold), Drexel (haven't heard yet), and have an interview soon at Albany.

I thought that maybe I had a bad letter of rec or something, but one of the interviewers was surprised when I told them about my luck with CA schools, before she told me that all my letters were good and my app was strong. All this, and no acceptances.

Don't call me a troll. This is legitimate. I've read some ridiculous things on here, like "If you have a 37-43 MCAT, just stroll into your school of choice and start paying tuition." I don't know where you are getting that from. I think it is far from that, and you are over simplifying. Because really, GPA/MCAT, IMHO, don't mean that much.

I don't know what it takes to get into medical school. Research, shadowing, and volunteering, should be listed next to biology, physics, and chemistry on pre-reqs for medical school, because that's what they are. I feel like I need to have cured cancer or saved a village in South America to get accepted. I feel like I worked so hard the last few years, and for nothing yet. I hope this application season really does go into March, because I have not heard from over 20 schools.

Trying to find patterns in the madness!

Members don't see this ad.

It could be any number of things. Maybe your personal statement or secondary essays weren't that great, maybe you came off as cocky or having a sense of entitlement because of your numbers, maybe you didn't do a good job of selling yourself in a humble way, maybe you just didn't interview well. I'm not saying you did any of those, but nobody can really say anything for sure without knowing you personally. Also, the schools you were rejected from have rejected a lot of stellar applicants this year, so don't feel too bad about those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I considered myself a strong applicant: go to a good UC, 3.72 GPA cum, 3.72 BPCM, 38 MCAT. I've got good research experience, doctor shadowing, leadership positions. I applied to over 30 schools, and was complete at most of them in early September.

I'm a CA resident, so I applied to all the UCs. I got rejected pre-secondary by UCSF--how do they screen primaries? I thought it was only numbers, but apparently not. (They don't want my money?!)

Have had 3 interviews at SLU (waitlist), Case Western (hold), Drexel (haven't heard yet), and have an interview soon at Albany.

I thought that maybe I had a bad letter of rec or something, but one of the interviewers was surprised when I told them about my luck with CA schools, before she told me that all my letters were good and my app was strong. All this, and no acceptances.

Don't call me a troll. This is legitimate. I've read some ridiculous things on here, like "If you have a 37-43 MCAT, just stroll into your school of choice and start paying tuition." I don't know where you are getting that from. I think it is far from that, and you are over simplifying. Because really, GPA/MCAT, IMHO, don't mean that much.

I don't know what it takes to get into medical school. Research, shadowing, and volunteering, should be listed next to biology, physics, and chemistry on pre-reqs for medical school, because that's what they are. I feel like I need to have cured cancer or saved a village in South America to get accepted. I feel like I worked so hard the last few years, and for nothing yet. I hope this application season really does go into March, because I have not heard from over 20 schools.

hmmm you left out any references to your personal statement. If u ask me, i'd think thats huge suspect...and also your essays. What did you put in all of them?

Unless he has a bad essay, I wouldn't say that's a reason. I mean the OP may not have a good essay, but rather a mediocre one so I don't see how a mediocre essay can completely sink strong references + strong stats.

The OP may not actually have a bad application at all -- might just be a combination of bad luck and a slightly later application; --> OP, being complete in mid-September is probably why you haven't heard from 20 schools. I've heard from all of the schools where I was complete in July and through mid August.

Not from any schools where I was complete in September. Good luck.

Hang in there.

one of my interviewers said my ps was good, so did one of my prof letter writers who wanted a writing sample. I hope you're right about being late. It's a shame, because I sent in my secondaries in july and august, but one of my letter writers flakes and I couldn't find another until September. So that's just how it is, I guess.

Why rolling admissions?!?!

My bet's on being complete during September. There's many of us who haven't heard from 5-10 schools, and we've been complete since July/August. I know for a fact that CA schools are really hard to get into so your rejections/holds there aren't that surprising. Just hang in there. If your application is great, you'll get an acceptance.

In the case where everything else stacks up (as in your situation), I'd suspect the personal statement. A good personal statement isn't just well written; it puts everything else in your application into context and tells a story about you. Without it, everything is just a disparate collection of activities, no matter how good they are.

I learned this the hard way; when working on my personal statement for this year, I reviewed last year's statement (I'm a reapplicant). Frankly, though it was well-written, it didn't convey much about my complete self outside of my impressions on separate activities. This year, I simply took the same anecdotes from my previous statement and reorganized them into a cohesive story about myself. Considering that this partial revamp of the personal statement was pretty much the only big change in my re-application (my activities and numbers pretty much remained the same), I'm seeing a pretty big change in the way med schools are receiving my application (last year, I had one interview total throughout the entire year; this year, I'm already at five times that). Not that I'm being completely successful, but I'm speaking relatively here, comparing last year and this year.

Edit: I doubt it's the "being complete in September" issue. I was complete by September at most schools both this year and last year, so it doesn't explain the difference.

Last edited:
What do med schools want?

Your soul.

Oh, and your money.

Unless he has a bad essay, I wouldn't say that's a reason. I mean the OP may not have a good essay, but rather a mediocre one so I don't see how a mediocre essay can completely sink strong references + strong stats.

You have to realize that since schools are getting as many as 10,000 applications for 150 slots, it doesn't take much for them to move onto the next applicant. So yes a mediocre essay or PS can absolutely sink an otherwise strong application. You have to realize that there is a lot of subjectivity in this process. Schools are weighing all that you've given them and trying to determine whether you are a better "fit" than the other thousands of folks who will have equally good stats. Certainly a lack of volunteerism might have given some places pause. At the 2 places OP interviewed and got waitlisted/held, it's certainly possible that OP didn't "wow" them or do a good enough job of selling him/herself. (Interviewing is a learnable skill, and one you can improve upon by practicing). But generally, for someone who has the stats, it is going to come down to whether or not that person did a good job throughout the application in selling themselves as a good fit for medicine in general, and the particular school specifically.

I also go to a good UC. 4.0/39S. And I have applied to 17 schools. UCSD interview is coming up. UCLA and UCSF are post-secondary but no word. Other than that I've had three interviews. So I am just waiting on a bunch of schools too. No news. And I was complete before you.

It's too early to start freaking out. and ucsf is a bunch of hippies as far as i know.

one of my interviewers said my ps was good, so did one of my prof letter writers who wanted a writing sample. I hope you're right about being late. It's a shame, because I sent in my secondaries in july and august, but one of my letter writers flakes and I couldn't find another until September. So that's just how it is, I guess.

Why rolling admissions?!?!

If your interviewers are telling you that they think your stats, PS and LORs are good, and still waitlisting you, that probably telegraphs that your interviewing skills could be better. I have to say that discussing why you didn't get interviews at other schools is a topic I would try to steer away from on an interview. Interviewers like to think you are "in demand". If they know other places have saw fit to reject you, they may start wondering what skeleton they missed. When schools ask where else you are applying, it's always best to just tell them one or two other schools your app is still live at and leave the rejects off the list.

Members don't see this ad :)
You forgot to mention your first born. :thumbup:

You can have that waived if you go into a primary care specialty, but if you renege on your promise, the schools take your second born too.

Fixed. 'nuf said. :D

:laugh:

election_night_04_426247a.jpg

BTW Lukkie,

I have to say I was surprised to see your MDapps and realize that you are South Asian. From your avatar, username, and comments, I've always pictured a white boy for some reason. :p

Your sarcastic comments make reading SDN wayyy more entertaining.

most-overrepresented-race-in-medicine-crew represent :scared: :scared:

You're just jealous because she's more maverick-y than you. In fact, a *real* maverick wouldn't go to a med school interview. They'd just show up on the first day as if they were supposed to be there. :smuggrin::smuggrin:

You're just jealous because she's more maverick-y than you. In fact, a *real* maverick wouldn't go to a med school interview. They'd just show up on the first day as if they were supposed to be there. :smuggrin::smuggrin:

Yes, but if you lived in close enough proximity to a medical school, and saw the medical school, then you would have enough experience to be a doctor.:smuggrin:

Too early to start to panic. I would say unless there is something you are leaving out about yourself, the chances are pretty high you will get in somewhere -even if it may be off a waitlist. You still have a lot of schools you haven't heard from and will probably getting interviews into Jan/Feb.

You may end up going to a med school out of state and not your top choice or even 20th choice, but that is the fate of many California premeds.

:laugh: :laugh:

Not to spoil the joke, but real life story here.......

This year an Indian girl showed up on the first day of class at USF Med in Fl. and she wasn't accepted. She was caught like a week into school and there are rumors that the med school has a lawsuit against her. haha.

Here's another real life story that happened a little while back with a happier ending. A med school applicant was not accepted anywhere. So he went down to the school which was his frist choice anyways and told the Dean something to the effect, "I am not leaving till you give me a spot."

He camped outside the school everyday during the first week to show he was serious. Lo and behold somebody actually dropped out the first week of school (this does actually happen). The Dean gave the guy the spot that opened.

I have to say I was surprised to see your MDapps and realize that you are South Asian. From your avatar, username, and comments, I've always pictured a white boy for some reason. :p

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
That's hilarious!

What must I be, considering my posts and lack of an Avatar?

this will either be very funny or very messy

or they go to the interview and not answer the questions asked

[YOUTUBE]lzfQdfw6ApQ[/YOUTUBE]

or they go to the interview and not answer the questions asked

[youtube]lzfQdfw6ApQ[/youtube]

Heh. Not that I'm a Palin fan or anything, but all she did wrong there was SAY that she wouldn't answer that question. I almost loathe all political debates because EVERYONE just talks about what the heck they want.

Heh. Not that I'm a Palin fan or anything, but all she did wrong there was SAY that she wouldn't answer that question. I almost loathe all political debates because EVERYONE just talks about what the heck they want.

Its cause she's a mayaverick

hahaha no thanks.

There's a difference between An African Country and Africa is a country.

The former is what a smart person would say in reference to one but not a specific nation in Africa, whereas the 2nd statement is what our ditsy former VP candidate said.

But pretty funny.

You do realize that the fact that Sarah Palin did not know Africa was made up of several countries was proven to be false.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081113/ap_en_tv/palin_hoax_1

Typical liberal media

to the op, I think your GPA might be on the low side for the UCs, their median is around a 3.8.

You were complete in SEPTEMBER.

At G-Dub, by that point, they have like a billion apps, and they are just backlogged. Your list is all super high volume app stuff. Adcoms are humans, they do eventually hit a wall of app reading.

I'm totally ignorant of the Ca system outside of the aforementioned need to dedicate your firstborn/cure cancer/go forth into the world to eradicate malaria.

Who thinks Palin could get a spot in Ca in exchange for her firstborn? It would be a two-fer, after all.....:D

havent you heard, medicine is not about being the smartest or hardest working, its about being able to self glorify yourself :).

You do realize that the fact that Sarah Palin did not know Africa was made up of several countries was proven to be false.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081113/ap_en_tv/palin_hoax_1

Typical liberal media

Typical "fair and balanced" media, actually. You do know that the Africa-is-a-country story broke on Fox News, right?

Then MSNBC followed up with a report on who the source for that story was. And according to the article you linked, the hoax part - the part that MSNBC was duped on - was that a fake name was given as Fox's source for the story.

From your AP article:

The hoax was limited to the identity of the source in the story about Palin — not the Fox News story itself. While Palin has denied that she mistook Africa for a country, the veracity of that report was not put in question by the revelation that Eisenstadt is a phony.

So is the original story true? Who knows - but as far as I've seen, Fox didn't retract it.

She really should have just been honest and said that she had no foreign policy experience. That's not a bad thing on her. Most governors don't have any foreign relations experience; they're too busy leading their states.

Questions:
1. What type of schools did you apply to?
2. What is your ethnicity(ie, if your ancestry is from any part of Asia, you will have a harder time to get in than other applicants)
3. What did you mention in your PS?
4. What was your major, courseload difficulty, and have you taken the MCAT more than once?

Comments:
Honestly, I dont think being complete by September with your stats is what is holding you back. In addition, given your stats, unless you said that you were a racist or killed someone in your PS, I dont think your PS can hold you back either, except at top tier schools. The only thing I see as lacking is probably volunteering. Hopefully, you will probably start hearing back from schools in maybe Dec/Jan.
Finally, to be honest, the medical admissions process is just a bunch of subjective BS. Ex. besides Case, I have been placed on preinterview hold at the same schools you interviewed at, and some of the schools you were waitlisted/rejected at, I have received invites from. Man, I sympathize with you, but don’t give up yet. Having had to go through this ****ty process 3 times now and each time being given generic and vague reasons for why I was rejected, I have become very cynical about medical admissions myself. But try to keep yourself busy doing stuff that you enjoy and don’t lose hope.

I'll add to the lateness of the application, and the possibility of a bad essay, but I'll also add that it's not clear that you have had "good research experience, doctor shadowing, [and] leadership positions" - this was a throwaway comment in your original post and you don't have an MDApps that allows for verification. It's entirely possible that what you consider to be "good" may not be good by adcom standards, meaning that all you may be presenting to them could be good numbers, which are dime-a-dozen in medical school applicants.