What do Medical Admissions Committees consider regarding this?

smileyman22336

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2008
Status
Non-Student
Let's say an individual were to have already pursued a different professional health degree, like in pharmacy or in dentistry. They had a change in heart (for whatever reason), and decided to apply to MD schools.

What would the medical admissions committee consider in their GPA calculations?

I'm asking because I've heard they really only consider undergraduate courses,
would they consider that also to be the first two years of pharmacy school and the first two years of dentistry school too? Or would they only consider all of the classes that the individual took prior to their entry into the professional health program?

notbobtrustme

Crux Terminatus
Removed
Account on Hold
Jun 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
They'll look at it, but I believe the most weight is applied to your uGPA.

God Complex
10+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2008
The Slab
Status
Medical Student
pharmacy is nothing like dentistry. You're giving them way too much credit.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
What would the medical admissions committee consider in their GPA calculations?

I'm asking because I've heard they really only consider undergraduate courses,
would they consider that also to be the first two years of pharmacy school and the first two years of dentistry school too? Or would they only consider all of the classes that the individual took prior to their entry into the professional health program?
It depends on the course content and whether the applicant's transcript marks the classes as undergrad or grad, but some of the professional school curriculum will be considered undergrad and included in the uGPA calculations along with the preprofessional coursework. A separate cGPA and BCPM GPA are calculated for both undergrad and graduate classes.

Yes, it is the undergrad classes that are primarily considered, but if a science-heavy professional school GPA is dismal, that would probably have a negative effect on adcomm decision-making.