What do medical schools give you...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
upon entering the class. I know they give out the white coats, but what else do we get? Do we have ti buy our own Merck Disease Handbook and stethoscope? Or would they provide those? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorC said:
upon entering the class. I know they give out the white coats, but what else do we get? Do we have ti buy our own Merck Disease Handbook and stethoscope? Or would they provide those? Thanks.

They usually give you a starter kit that includes:

scalpels
bandages
goggles
rubber hoses
barbed wire

which schools offer free pens. that's a deal breaker for me

DoctorC said:

They don't usually "give" you anything of value -- the white coats, etc. are generally budgeted into your tuition. Most schools make you buy all books and equipment directly from the manufacturers (but there may be group discounts). The only think free you will get is the Netter's you can inevitably obtain by joining an organization or signing up for a credit card.