Quantcast

What do medical schools like to see in an applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolcucumber91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I know they want high GPA, high MCAT, and some research (publishing a paper). What else are they looking for?

Jrsharp70

...failure to communicate
Reaction score
People with the initiative to research before asking questions. Oh, and bring nachos to the interview. Interviewers love nachos...

LRAccord624

MSIII
Reaction score
The stuff you said, plus volunteering. Oh, and research is good, publishing is awesome, but neither is absolutely necessary.

Someone who does stuff, long term, not to pad his/her application but because he or she is truly interested/passionate about it.

Someone with diverse experiences.

At the interview...

Someone who is intelligent, charismatic, amiable, and empathetic. Someone who can convey information to others in an assertive, effective manner.

LRAccord624

MSIII
Reaction score
Nachos.. darn. Didn't think of those. I brought cookies; those seemed to work well too.

sully677

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nachos.. damn. Didn't think of those. I brought cookies; those seemed to work well too.

What about the warm milk with the cookies? Michael Jackson gave that to his kiddies.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone who responds to PMs that moderators send them. You might want to get on that.
oh_snap.jpg

Jrsharp70

...failure to communicate
Reaction score
A steak knife... BWAHAHAHAHA!

But seriously folks.... cookies over nachos??? Show me an adcom that doesn't love melted cheese over chips with jalapenos, and I'll show you a school that needs new faculty.

buncha candy *****es.

(unless it's Soft Batch... Everyone loves Soft Batch)

caveat87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
45T, 4.0, and do things like this on a regular basis:

pre-medclass.jpg