What do PD's think of "unranked" MD schools (according to USNWR) when going for a competitive specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
What essentially does it mean when a school is unranked according to USNWR? Does it mean that they're so far below the ranking of other MD schools that USNWR didn't even bother giving them a ranking? lol

I'm not totally set on a specialty, but I want to keep my options as open as possible. I've been accepted to both a ~#40 ranked school and one unranked school, and while I personally liked the vibe of the unranked school better, I don't want to hold myself back for residency options in any way.

Members don't see this ad.

What essentially does it mean when a school is unranked according to USNWR? Does it mean that their so far below the ranking of other MD schools that USNWR didn't even bother giving them a ranking? lol

I'm not totally set on a specialty, but I want to keep my options as open as possible. I've been accepted to both a ~#40 ranked school and one unranked school, and while I personally liked the vibe of the unranked school better, I don't want to hold myself back for residency options in any way.
PDs have their own survey. To extent they care about any ranking at all, I'd think they'd care more about their own than one put out by a magazine marketed to the general public. You should research opportunities at your preferred school in the areas in which you are interested, and go with whatever feels right to you.

That said, it's impossible to say that choosing unranked over #40 definitely won't hold you back in any way, but it's also understandable that money, location, vibe, pre-clinical, etc. should go into your decision. You are going to be there for 4 years, and your happiness will also greatly contribute to your ultimate success. JMHO as a fellow pre-med.

UNSWR unranked "means that U.S. News did not calculate a numerical rank because the school did not supply enough key statistical data to be numerically ranked." It's qualitatively different from the schools in the bottom quarter of the list, who intentionally are only placed in a range so as not to embarrass the schools at the very bottom. It stands to reason, though, that the schools who don't provide the data fail to do so because they know it won't be flattering, as opposed to some philosophical objection to rankings.

What essentially does it mean when a school is unranked according to USNWR? Does it mean that they're so far below the ranking of other MD schools that USNWR didn't even bother giving them a ranking? lol

As a residency applicant, if your stats, boards and LORs get you past the screening process, your chances should be competetive. Especially if there are grads from your school already in or grads of their program. Obviously, pedigree can help get you an interview, even with lower stats, but that's about it. You have to sell yourself to the program. Look up some top tier residency programs match lists and see what schools had students match there. You might be surprised. Most MD schools have the mentors and research opportunities available if you choose to take advantage of them. Cost, fit, and location are the most important factors for me. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users