What do people usually do if they don't get into dental school.

alexamasan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm just wondering that if people don't get into dental school when they apply the first time around, what should you do until the next time you apply?

I heard many people suggest going to get a masters degree, so I guess that means that not getting into dental school the first time postpones your admission to dental school for 2 more years if you go that route. What else could you do in the mean time?

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
This is pretty tough to say considering everyone's situation is very different. I have friends who have worked in the biology/chemistry field, gone back and did extra undergrad classes and one who went back to get his Masters in Public Health (MPH), which was only a year long degree at the university he got it from. All eventually got into dental school.

May 4, 2009
Status
I'm just wondering that if people don't get into dental school when they apply the first time around, what should you do until the next time you apply?

I heard many people suggest going to get a masters degree, so I guess that means that not getting into dental school the first time postpones your admission to dental school for 2 more years if you go that route. What else could you do in the mean time?
well it really depends on what area you need to improve on. Perhaps, calling admission offices to find out. if it's GPA, then you should go for a masters or post-bac. if it's DAT, a retake should fix it. if you have good stat, I would say just do some research, accumulate more shadowing hours, volunteer, & improve your leadership profile.

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2010
Duh
Status
well it really depends on what area you need to improve on. Perhaps, calling admission offices to find out. If it's gpa, then you should go for a masters or post-bac. If it's dat, a retake should fix it. If you have good stat, i would say just do some research, accumulate more shadowing hours, volunteer, & improve your leadership profile.
+1

dentalWorks

Nights Watchmen
7+ Year Member
Jun 25, 2009
Sterling Hts, Mi
Status
Dentist
like the previous folks said, it depends on your situation...

If your undergrad GPA is low, post-bacc is good idea.

If your undergrad GPA is great, maybe masters? maybe more post-bacc? maybe retaking DAT? I mean it all depends on what you need

nobodyy

10+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
can someone help me clear this up, what is post bacc exactly? is it just taking more undergrad bio classes? or is it getting another degree

crew09

5+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
Both. Post baccalaureate very simply means "after the bachelor's degree."

It can refer to a person taking any number of classes after getting a bachelors degree, or doing a formal program (for example taking 30 hours of UD sciences) and getting awarded a certificate or Masters degree (those are usually called Special Masters Programs (SMP) which are one year as opposed to traditional Masters degree ~ 2 years.

Schools and programs modify these parameters to fit certain criteria. Some Post Bac programs have a 'link' with a school and if requirements are met (example 3.5 GPA and 18AA) then they are granted an interview or sometimes an acceptance.

Other programs don't have a formal 'link' with a medical or dental school but have a high acceptance rate into programs...

A 'formal' post bac is structured and has some official requirements, whereas an 'informal' post bac is simply taking more classes with no official guidelines.

People generally pursue Post Bac's to offset a low GPA, to take med/dent prereqs or if they majored in something other than science.

It all depends, but it simply means 'after a bachelors' degree.