What do people with GPR's heavy in OS do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Franklo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess this isn't just in terms of OS but anything really. If someone were to do a GPR that focused primarily on a specialty would that lead to a general dentist that seeks out those specific cases or more so a general dentist that is capable of just keeping those procedures in house? I always figured the main idea behind GPR's was to make sure your general skills were honed and that you called address advanced versions of those cases.

Members don't see this ad.

If someone were to do a GPR that focused primarily on a specialty would that lead to a general dentist that seeks out those specific cases or more so a general dentist that is capable of just keeping those procedures in house?

Yes. In my case I did a hospital-based GPR heavy in oral surgery. I have now been a GP for 30 yrs. I do most of my routine extractions. Moreover, I am better suited to evaluate the complex medical treatment of my patients with respect to other treatments. Example, today I diagnosed a condylar fracture on a 29 yo patient of mine. Also did a difficult extraction on a 80 yo patient who completely fractured a root on tooth 30 -on multiple meds. Also, I have been involved with dentistry in a hospital setting for many years.

I don't seek out these pt's per se, but the word gets around.

If someone were to do a GPR that focused primarily on a specialty would that lead to a general dentist that seeks out those specific cases or more so a general dentist that is capable of just keeping those procedures in house?

Yes. In my case I did a hospital-based GPR heavy in oral surgery. I have now been a GP for 30 yrs. I do most of my routine extractions. Moreover, I am better suited to evaluate the complex medical treatment of my patients with respect to other treatments. Example, today I diagnosed a condylar fracture on a 29 yo patient of mine. Also did a difficult extraction on a 80 yo patient who completely fractured a root on tooth 30 -on multiple meds. Also, I have been involved with dentistry in a hospital setting for many years.

I don't seek out these pt's per se, but the word gets around.

So then do you still do fillings, endo and such or is your focus now entirely OS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I am in private practice-general. So I do the typical fillings/crowns /dentures/ exo's/veneers etc. I don't do endo because I don't like it and could never get the results I wanted. But the extra training helped. It gives you more exposure. Even though it was alot of OS, there was still some general experience. It was one of the best things I did professionally.

They keep a lot of oral surgery in house instead of referring. They do most of their own extractions, including some straight forward wisdom teeth. They place implants and they are better trained to deal with complications on patients with medical complexities. Some even travel from practice to practice and do these procedures for other GPs.

Last edited:
They keep a lot of oral surgery in house instead of referring. They do most of their own extractions, including some straight forward wisdom teeth. They place implants and they are better trained to deal with complications on patients with medical complexities. Some even travel from practice to practice and do these procedures for other GPs.

As a general who does most his own ext, I approve this message.

Reactions: 1 users