What do pharmacy schools think of WF grades?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HenryH

AA-S
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what most pharmacy schools think of WF grades (in non-prerequisite classes)? I understand that PHARMCAS doesn't even include WF grades in applicants' GPA calculations, but I understand that most undergraduate programs count them as F grades, so I was just wondering what most pharmacy schools thought about them. Do most programs tend to re-calculate applicants' GPAs to include the WF?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what most pharmacy schools think of WF grades (in non-prerequisite classes)? I understand that PHARMCAS doesn't even include WF grades in applicants' GPA calculations, but I understand that most undergraduate programs count them as F grades, so I was just wondering what most pharmacy schools thought about them. Do most programs tend to re-calculate applicants' GPAs to include the WF?

This will be addressed on a school to school basis. Also, if you only have one or two it's not a big deal if the rest of your application is strong. Be prepared to explain this if asked.

Withdrawals are usually NOT added to your GPA so you are ok....
If its not in a pre-requisite course, and if you only have 1-3 of them then most likely they will never ask about it. No student is perfect, and most schools understand this. However, if you have a bunch, especially in the beginning of your academic career, then it is very wise to address it in your pharmacy school essay.
Personally for me, my college career did not start off the strongest. However, over the last 2-3 years I accelerated in many of my classes and even ended up getting straight As my last semester before graduation. I was incredibly paranoid about my record so I decided to apply to pharm school after getting a B.S. degree and after getting a very good PCAT score (thank you Dr. Collins!!). In my personal essay I stated something in the lines of "My academic career did not start off the strongest, but I have grown and matured through my hardships and am a better student/person today because I overcame my struggles. I know exactly what I want and how valuable my future is....."
So if you confront the situation head on, then pharmacy schools will know you have nothing to hide. Also, you will be able to see which schools are genuinely interested in you as an applicant. Good luck!