fejes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
Status
For those of you that are practicing PAs, what is your consensus on what Physicians think of PAs? Do Physicians consider them to be a valuable member of the health care team? Are PAs looked at in the same way as often DCs or DPMs are?

I would appreciate your honest opinions.

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
it depends on the physician of course. younger physicians who have worked with pa's tend to value them as team members. some older physicians don't want anything to do with us but that's ok, they are a dying breed and won't hire us anyway so we don't see them too often anymore. I am treated as a colleague at my current job. docs sign pts out to me at the end of shift and use me as a second opinion for procedures, weird rashes,etc

OP
F

fejes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
Status
Where are you currently working?

jwk

CAA, ASA-PAC Contributor
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2004
Atlanta, GA
fejes said:
For those of you that are practicing PAs, what is your consensus on what Physicians think of PAs? Do Physicians consider them to be a valuable member of the health care team? Are PAs looked at in the same way as often DCs or DPMs are?

I would appreciate your honest opinions.
Most docs, particularly those that you actually work with, will value and respect your experience and capabilities.

No offense to the chiros, but most consider them an entirely different kind of professional, not even on the same plane.

Pods were looked down on for a long time, but you will find lots of hospitals with them on staff now. I work with a bunch of them - they're all good at what they do. Obviously they have a limited scope of practice to foot and ankle work, but in those areas, they're usually top notch.

Freeeedom!

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2001
I am a ninja
Visit site
Status
There is SUCH A WIDE SPECTRUM of Physician Assistants that there is no way of basing a judgement until you work with them. Since there is no mandatory degree format (BS vs MS vs certificate) and there is no experience prerequisite prior to school, it is really difficult.
At one time you could expect a PA from a certain school to be absolutely fantastic, but with the spread of programs all over the place, the field has been watered down. In general, I am far more pleased with PA's than with NP's. I think the structure of the PA program is FAR FAR superior to the NP (part time, nights) program.
I would hire a PA anytime over a NP.

toughlife

Resident
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They lighten the workload of docs, allow them earn more and can be good to treat minor ailments. So are NPs. I see them as support staff.

DrB

Family Medicine Resident
10+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
In the Desert
Status
As a future physician and almost future PA, I can say that my view of the PA profession is of utmost high regard. I can honestly say that I have great respect for the PA profession. I have watched several PAs in a clinical setting and know that their hard work is valued. Without them the physician would be overloaded.

On a side note; I have decided to take an acceptance to medical school, which is why I have not posted on this forum in a while. Rest assured you have one doc on your side!

Good luck to us all!
:luck:

emedpa

GlobalDoc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2001
Taking an Away team....
Status
Post Doc
docb- are you at santa cruz, my alma mater? rock on !!!!!

Monika

PA-C
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2002
South Central USA
Visit site
Status
Thanks Dr. B! Those were very kind words, I really appreciate your practical & respectful consideration of the Physician Assistant profession.

You are exactly the kind of doctor we would all be lucky to work alongside in the future.

Best wishes in your studies!

:) M

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2000
www.pcom.edu
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Here in Philadelphia you will find PAs on staff at nearly every hospital. I have never seen PAs be talked down to on the floors or in the office. I have seen PAs give a case presentation at morning report and do a great job...no one pimped her extra hard because she was a PA.

Even the PA students are treated well. They scrub in during surgical cases, round in the morning, are pimped the same caliber questions. Seems to be no favoritism one way or the other.

Just the other day during a VATS procedure in the OR the surgeon only wanted his PA-first assist to work the camera, much to the shock of the 2 residents who scrubbed in. I guess she has been with him for 7 years and they have a great working relationship.

I think if you are proud of your career path then it shouldnt matter what people think. But as far as being a PA, I dont see any problem getting the respect you deserve as a valuable member of the multidisciplinary team.

Noreaster

Noreaster
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2004
New England
Status
There is, of course, a variation of how docs feel about PAs. I've had mostly really great experiences through my training with preceptors and my encounters with docs has been--for the most part--really positive. My ER preceptor, an MD, holds PAs in high regards and outwardly knocks NPs. One day, I asked him why he didn't like the NPs there at the ER. He paused, handed me an X-ray he was looking at and asked me what I saw. I told him that it was a normal CXR. He then said, that's why. I said, huh? He replied, "our NP, who's been here for 5 years just gave me this CXR and was concerned about a 'cancer' in the lung, and she was looking at the shadow of the scapula."

Anyway... sorry for the tangent. That was one experience. As I've been working, most docs seem to respect PAs. There are a few, who I've talked with when doing rounds, who make it very clear that they do not think too much of PAs. These two I'm talking about are much older.

The way I see it: There's much to gain from being a team player. If one chooses to not be a team player, then it is certainly their loss!

dermpa02

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2004
TX
Status
I'm a PA working in derm, and I've yet to meet a dermatologist who held PA's in a negative light. However, within this field there are many who do not like PA's at all. This is not because of any type of clinical competency reason, but is instead because they see us as competition, and no one likes competition....

AlKlineDPM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2005
www.thefootblog.wordpress.com
Status
I will say that there is a little controversy in our medical community concerning DOCTORS who overuse PA's. I know of one doctor who rarely even sees patients in the hospital setting anymore and the PA appears to be responsible for everything (ie H&P, visits, tests, etc). There appears to be a significant breakdown in communication between patient and doctor. However, I have also seen PA's go from one Doc to another, until they find the 'right mix'. So , from my personal experience, it seems to fall on the Physicians who 'lack patient involvement' and appear to 'over-utilize' their PA. I think in our South Texas medical community, especially the old docs who want to maintain that doctor-patient relationship, looks down on this type of practice.

I'm a DPM and don't use PA's, but I have always had good relationships with them and have respect for their role in the health care field. As long as I don't see them getting abused and over-worked.

hospPA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2003
USA
Visit site
Status
AlKlineDPM said:
I'm a DPM and don't use PA's, but I have always had good relationships with them and have respect for their role in the health care field. As long as I don't see them getting abused and over-worked.
As far as I know, you can't use PA's, at least in my state. Only MD's and DO's can.
This is not a jab, as I have great respect for DPM's. I just wanted to clear the air.

Pat

djquick83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
dermpa02 said:
I'm a PA working in derm, and I've yet to meet a dermatologist who held PA's in a negative light. However, within this field there are many who do not like PA's at all. This is not because of any type of clinical competency reason, but is instead because they see us as competition, and no one likes competition....
Gotta agree with u there. Oh well, at the end of the day u can drive off in your BMW 7 series and pretend like it never happend. :D :p

hospPA

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 23, 2003
USA
Visit site
Status
djquick83 said:
Gotta agree with u there. Oh well, at the end of the day u can drive off in your BMW 7 series and pretend like it never happend. :D :p
Hell, that's a crappy car for those rich derm PA's! Try a 911!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pat