What do pre-meds major in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yeahman67

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, i am a high school student looking for guidance to becoming a doctor. I wanted to know what do most pre-meds major in and when you apply to a medical school, and what kind of college grades you need to get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
these days the best majors are african history, music, and western philosophy. its nice to have straight As as well

this topic has been argues to the death. it basically comes to anything you want. just forum search this topic

Members don't see this ad :)
So, basically, all you need to do is fulfill the pre-med requirement and you're good?

So, basically, all you need to do is fulfill the pre-med requirement and you're good?

This is true. There is no required major, but medical schools have pre-reqs for admission.

You need to do as well as you can in your classes to keep your GPA up.

The basics are:
Take the pre-reqs
Accumulate a strong GPA
Score well on the MCAT
Get clinical experience
Be involved with volunteering and other extra curricular activities.

Depending in which schools you're interested in, research experience will also be a factor to a greater or lesser extent.

i always thought a bio major would be ideal, b/c you get to do all the prereqs, and also take upper division bio work which i think will be good preperation for med school. i took a minor in politics, just to have a broad scope of coursework. but like everyone says, all that matters is you have to do the prereqs, so you could take a humanities major and bio minor for example.
just make sure you focus on getting good grades.

I majored in forensic science, which included all the pre-requisites but also included such fun classes as "crime scene search and recovery," "forensic serology," "forensic molecular biology," and "forensic microscopy."

Yes, you can major in literally whatever you want. Basketweaving if it makes ya feel good. You just need a high GPA, a good MCAT, and good grades in your core courses. So basically waht humid said

An ideal choice would be a B.S. in Biological Philosophy.

Where is this being post moved to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is this being post moved to?

it was moved to the pre allo forum. As far as your question, like others have said, major in whatever you want. No one cares but you. I have pre meds who are majors in history and mathematics, it really doesnt matter. But for the love of god don't major in biology (or any other science) b/c you think the admissions people will be impressed.

need a 3.65 or higher, which amounts to "more As than Bs". NO Cs, if at all possible.

I personally think the best preparation would come from a well-rounded background.....so my advice is to double major in "cyberfeminism" and "phallic studies" with minors in the "exploration of blackness" and "queer musicology"

(note: all real courses offered at institutions in the US)

not true.

living example.

And I had a 3.53 AO 3.58 Sci, but we are talking about someone who hasn't started yet and would do well to avoid the ubiquitous freshman slump.

And I had a 3.53 AO 3.58 Sci, but we are talking about someone who hasn't started yet and would do well to avoid the ubiquitous freshman slump.

if it's ubiquitous, then what's the problem.

DO SOMETHING FREAKING INTERESTING!

Anything but "premedical studies," please

shucks, too late....at my tiny school that's all we got if you're gonna finish the pre-reqs....plus, what's the difference between premed studies and bilology, biochem, micro, etc. etc. they are all virtually the same thing (minus one or two upper level courses here and there)

personally I think it doesnt matter one tiny freakin bit what you major in....

shucks, too late....at my tiny school that's all we got if you're gonna finish the pre-reqs....plus, what's the difference between premed studies and bilology, biochem, micro, etc. etc. they are all virtually the same thing (minus one or two upper level courses here and there)

personally I think it doesnt matter one tiny freakin bit what you major in....

It should be fine if that's all you can choose

It's just not as interesting to discuss at an interview

Because there are probably multiple fields of study that interest a given person, I'm going to offer an alternative to the 'follow your dreams' credo. Study something you like that has utility. Like engineering for me.

Although I respect people who major in, say, dance or theater. I feel like its possible to pursue those interests without going for the degree--perhaps by taking a few classes or joining an independent theater production.

It should be fine if that's all you can choose

It's just not as interesting to discuss at an interview

that's why hopefully I will get to discuss my EC's and stuff at interviews, not my major

isnt that what usually takes place?? I mean, unless you have a truly unique major

that's why hopefully I will get to discuss my EC's and stuff at interviews, not my major

isnt that what usually takes place?? I mean, unless you have a truly unique major

at my interview a wasp got in the room and we spent most of the time trying to kill it.

really.

if it's ubiquitous, then what's the problem.

DO SOMETHING FREAKING INTERESTING!

"freaking interesting" to whom? You? Surely if you had a 3.5ish GPA you realize what a tremendous headache it can be to get screened out everywhere. Curing cancer won't help an application in the circular file.

Grades are more important than being interesting. You will live and die by your grades.

at my interview a wasp got in the room and we spent most of the time trying to kill it.

really.

those things are built like tanks.....you can step on them and they will just fly away (or at your face in fury)

Grades are more important than being interesting. You will live and die by your grades.

that's absolutely not true.

being interesting IS more important.

my grades sucked. at my interview we talked about my research and that stupid wasp.

repeat et all... at this point EVERYONE has good grades. stand out. DO SOMETHING INTERESTING!

I have interesting friends that spent too much time on their projects and got 3.4s. I would consider them interesting, but no interviews to talk about research.

I am not trying to argue with you. Let me reiterate that we are advising an incoming freshman. Most incoming premeds don't even make it to the applications process at all.

I have interesting friends that spent too much time on their projects and got 3.4s. I would consider them interesting, but no interviews to talk about research.

I am not trying to argue with you. Let me reiterate that we are advising an incoming freshman. Most incoming premeds don't even make it to the applications process at all.

I understand you.....keeping up grades is really hard work and takes a heck of a lot of stamina, discipline, determination, etc....the focus should be on getting excellent grades or else they are prone to slide very easily.....at the same time, its not hard to be committed to being interesting and well-rounded....that's a lifestyle choice, good grades is a more specific choice which needs to be made early on in college.......I also know plenty of intersting, well-rounded people (who would prob. make great docs) but their grades weren't on par and they arent in med school now

not saying its not POSSIBLE to get in with not so stellar grades....but its not the norm, and shouldnt be something which you assume will turn out ok

need a 3.65 or higher, which amounts to "more As than Bs". NO Cs, if at all possible.

There are hundreds of med schools that will take 3.4 and 3.5s take a look at the MSAR some accept students that are just over the 3.0 mark. C's are fine. Just don't end up getting a lot of them!

I would've killed for a 3.4. Don't Major in bio and astrophysics and minor in chem. Setting yourself up for a crap GPA is not that good of a plan, believe me.

There are hundreds of med schools that will take 3.4 and 3.5s take a look at the MSAR some accept students that are just over the 3.0 mark. C's are fine. Just don't end up getting a lot of them!

:rolleyes: if I had changed "need" to "aim for" I would have saved a good bit of effort...

that's absolutely not true.

being interesting IS more important.

my grades sucked. at my interview we talked about my research and that stupid wasp.

repeat et all... at this point EVERYONE has good grades. stand out. DO SOMETHING INTERESTING!

what was an example of something you considered really interesting about your app?

if you're an entering freshman, please ignore this statement. you need to get 3 A's for every C to get your GPA to a 3.5, which is still considered subpar. Just try to get A's, you might get a B sometimes, but seriously stay the F--- away from C's, I speak from personal experience.

When I interviewed applicants I liked to ask a couple of academically-oriented questions. Not like "tell me about transposons" but more like "what is your favorite area of ____" or "what do you think is an interesting recent development in ____." If someone majored in the field I figure it's fair game, and follow-up discussion can tell me a lot about how the candidate thinks.

If someone majored in premedical studies, I would have asked why. "My school required me to" would have been a sufficient answer.

Obviously we talk about ECs, personal interests, medicine, etc. We have a lot of time.

My opinion: beware of majoring in 'whatever'. I knew a lot of premeds that never ended up in medical school (I just barely weaseled my way in after two application cycles) and some of them are now in jobs they hate because they chose to major in either a traditional premed major or a 'whatever, premeds can major in anything' major. I think you should be prepared to face the job maket with whatever degree you end up settling on. I you choose basket weaving, you'd better like weaving baskets (i.e., temp to hire office B.S. for low pay).

i double majored. i majored in economics because it interested me and wasn't that hard. but since i was already doing the pre-reqs for med school, i just decided to finish the bio major and take like 4 more classes. surprisingly, it wasn't until i reached the upper level bio classes did i realize my love for science. plus, physiology and biochem are a hell of a lot easier after taking bio, orgo, chem, and physics. it all ties in together. its all up to you, though. make sure you enjoy what you are studying, otherwise its MUCH harder to learn.

My opinion: beware of majoring in 'whatever'. I knew a lot of premeds that never ended up in medical school (I just barely weaseled my way in after two application cycles) and some of them are now in jobs they hate because they chose to major in either a traditional premed major or a 'whatever, premeds can major in anything' major. I think you should be prepared to face the job maket with whatever degree you end up settling on. I you choose basket weaving, you'd better like weaving baskets (i.e., temp to hire office B.S. for low pay).

totally agreed... I love cheese! obviously i grew up in Wisconsin :oops: