What DO school is viewed in the most favorable light overall by residency directors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GravityRush

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard they have a high opinion of CCOM and PCOM. Is that true? Or is there one held in higher regard? What about the Touros, KCOM, KCUMB, MSUCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd be surprised if it matters a whole lot other than regionally. Medical school and how you are viewed by residencies is almost completely going to be what you make of it.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard they have a high opinion of CCOM and PCOM. Is that true? Or is there one held in higher regard? What about the Touros, KCOM, KCUMB, MSUCOM?

PD's in the local area of PCOM, MSUCOM, CCOM I'm sure have good opinions. KCU-COM (or KCUMB, they just had a name change) is also highly regarding around the area.

From the very little research I have done, UNTHSC/TCOM seems to have national recognition.

KCOM is well known because it's the first DO school and I'm sure in that time have put out some stellar physicians.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was at an interview recently and learned that the program (considered in SDN-speak to be upper mid-tier) only accepts DO applications from certain schools. Of the schools you mention, KCUMB, PCOM, and MSUCOM were on the list.

University of Michigan only allows visiting DO's from a few DO schools but it looks like you have all those schools up there, sans Touro which is not on the list.

http://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/visiting-students

I don't think one school is most favorable, rather some are better than others.

Reactions: 1 user
I was at an interview recently and learned that the program (considered in SDN-speak to be upper mid-tier) only accepts DO applications from certain schools. Of the schools you mention, KCUMB, PCOM, and MSUCOM were on the list.

University of Michigan only allows visiting DO's from a few DO schools but it looks like you have all those schools up there, sans Touro which is not on the list.

http://medicine.umich.edu/medschool/education/visiting-students

I don't think one school is most favorable, rather some are better than others.

I'm almost completely sure this instance has more to do with swap agreements worked out between schools than MSUCOM thinking other osteopathic schools inadequately prepare their students.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm almost completely sure this instance has more to do with swap agreements worked out between schools than MSUCOM thinking other osteopathic school students themselves are unqualified for this program.

Alright, well there you have it. You're almost completely sure. Let's go ahead and close the thread.

Joking aside, I think there are some COM's that are certainly stronger than others.

Last edited:
Alright, well there you have it. You're almost completely sure. Let's go ahead and close the thread.

Joking aside, I think there are some COM's that are certainly stronger than others.

If you had to pick 3, which would they be?

That's really tough. I don't know much about MSUCOM other than it has a big OPTI and affiliated with a big public university.

PCOM has history

CCOM has history and great clinical rotations in the Chicago area

TCOM is very solid and enjoys a pretty national reputation. Again, the public university linkage helps.

KCUMB is coming up to 100 years and consistently has a solid match list. Watch for big things in the next few years from this school. They made a very key pick-up in the research arena and are positioning themselves to be a major research force.

Pick any 3 from the above list and that should suffice.

I'd be surprised if it matters a whole lot other than regionally. Medical school and how you are viewed by residencies is almost completely going to be what you make of it.

This was my opinion, but after interviewing and successfully matching I dont think this is completely true. I had several comments about the strength of my school on interviews that were not in my schools region.

One thing I'm learning from talking to PD's at ACGME programs is if they have concerns about DO schools, it's not about the first two years, because they have USMLE Step 1 scores to assuage their doubts. Their concerns are about the quality of the clinical education. There are some COM's where you can do 2 whole core rotations in IM without ever stepping foot inside a hospital. Those students are NOT prepared to become interns in a busy academic medical center.

Any COM can throw up a warehouse and teach biochem and physiology for two years, the limiting step is the quality of their clinical education.

I am often the only DO in my interview groups, the reputation of my school has certainly not hurt me, and in some cases, it was what prevented my application from being tossed away with DO's from other schools that were deemed more questionable.

So essentially...this thread is asking for a tier list/ranking of DO schools.

:beat::beat::beat::beat::beat:

Seriously, enough with this topic already.

Reactions: 4 users