what do they mean by "HOLD"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have been put on a pre-interview "HOLD" does that mean you still have any reasonable chance at getting an interview at that school?

I was put on hold at UCDavis today and was wondering if that means game-over or if they end up interviewing a lot of people that are in that position.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have been put on a pre-interview "HOLD" does that mean you still have any reasonable chance at getting an interview at that school?

I was put on hold at UCDavis today and was wondering if that means game-over or if they end up interviewing a lot of people that are in that position.

today i got a fat "REJECTION" from uc davis...you still have some chance...albeit very small.

I was put on a pre-interview hold at UCSD & UCD and I assumed it was "Game Over." However, I've recently been offered an interview at UCSD; however, it is for February. In my opinion, these pre-interview holds are not a good thing, but they aren't the end-all-be-all. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just think of it as the hold button when calling an 800-customer service number...you haven't been answered with an acceptance, but you haven't been hung up on either! It's not good news, but definitely not bad news!

sorry about the hold and rejection, you two. I'm still waiting to hear anything from UCDavis...when were you both complete there?

sorry about the hold and rejection, you two. I'm still waiting to hear anything from UCDavis...when were you both complete there?

I was done with 29 secondaries by the end of August but it took Davis 3 months to send me one. I finished theirs end of November and a little over a month later they put me "on HOLD". :(

"Hold" is basically a pre-interview waitlist. It probably means that they see you as "on the fence" for an interview and they're gonna see how their other interviews go and consider inviting you later. Just speculation though, so don't get worried...I'm pretty sure you've got a chance still. :thumbup:

Generally it is difficult to get off one of these interview hold lists, but it is possible.

For VCU I was put on Pre-interview hold...and in November they gave me an interview...

For VCU I was put on Pre-interview hold...and in November they gave me an interview...

How did you know you were put on a pre-interview hold? Did they email you or send you a letter? Thanks!