aisforangie

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Optometry
I'm taking the OAT in a month and I was wondering what they give you on Test Day. Is it scratch paper or dry-erase boards? Someone also said something about headphones? I ask because I'm really weird when it comes to concentrating ... I just can't focus if my writing materials are different from what I'm used to...

Thanks =)

mathcod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status
No headphones, two standard sheet-of-paper sized dry-erase boards (really just laminated graphing paper, both sides can be written on so that's really like 4 sheets of "erasable" paper) and 2 dry-erase pens, both black.

The size of the booth is pretty big compared to a school desk (like maybe a standard home desk). However, the computer screen randomly displays "screamers" from the internet that scare the hell out of you: for example, I was trying to read a physics question about angular momentum when the girl from The Ring flashed on my screen and it started making loud, haunting noises. Not cool, Prometric.

sportsdude00

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2008
Status
Optometry Student
I received two pencils, a booklet of scratch paper, and those noise blocking earmuff things that you see people wearing in construction zones and such. If you get distracted easily, make sure you get a seat that faces a wall. We had a row of computers in the middle of the room and I was put in one, and although I was in a cubicle, it was VERY distracting to see EVERYONE who came in/out of the exam room out of the corner of my eye. Good luck!

OP
A

aisforangie

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Status
Pre-Optometry
Mathcod, are you serious about the screamers?? How could you continue taking the test if that happened? I would seriously have a heart attack --- you're already in a vulnerable, unstable, panicked state of mind taking the test...

Anyways, thanks for your help guys!

mathcod

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2008
Status
no i wasn't serious about the screamers, but the rest is true at least for my testing center.