What do we need to know about vaccines?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ej37

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What information do I need to know about vaccines? It seems this is at least a medium-yield topic that comes up in Qbanks but for some reason I just cant get this stuff to stick in my head... i.e. live vs attenuated, component, etc... This stuff seems to be all over the place in FA. Can someone help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

What information do I need to know about vaccines? It seems this is at least a medium-yield topic that comes up in Qbanks but for some reason I just cant get this stuff to stick in my head... i.e. live vs attenuated, component, etc... This stuff seems to be all over the place in FA. Can someone help me out?

Yeah First Aid talks a little about how they work for a couple bacteria/viruses but I doubt we have to know anything about what ages they're given and that stuff.

Kaplan has a couple charts..

For bacteria you really just want to know the active ingredients:
DTAP: toxoid (pertussus is toxoid + fil hemaglutt.)
Hib: capsular polysacch and protein
Pneumococcus: Peds- 7 capsular serotypes + protein, Adult- 23 cap serotypes
N. mening: 4 capsular serotypes

For viruses know whether it's live attenuated vs. killed...
Killed: Rabies, Influenza, Polio, Hep A.
Live: MMR, Rotavirus, VZ, Adeno, Polio, Small pox, yellow fever.
Recombinant DNA: Hep B, HPV.

Obviously know what it means to be live attenuated vs. killed and the pros/cons. Also, note that polio is both live and killed - we use the killed one in the US nowadays for safety reasons.

I would put money on Diptheria being on there seeing as there's a freakin outbreak right now.

Last edited: