What do we think about Kahn Academy for science passages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danceamber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm realizing my biggest weaknest is just passages in general so I would like to get more practice. I have read all those great threads about TBR passages, NextStep passages, and other great resources. However, I can't really afford to buy all these passage based books. In the meantime I really need to do more passages. Do you think Kahn Academy passages are helpful?

Best,

Amber

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I'm realizing my biggest weaknest is just passages in general so I would like to get more practice. I have read all those great threads about TBR passages, NextStep passages, and other great resources. However, I can't really afford to buy all these passage based books. In the meantime I really need to do more passages. Do you think Kahn Academy passages are helpful?

Best,

Amber

I think it depends on what you're comparing them to... doing KA passages compared to doing no passages is obviously going to be helpful, but compared to NextStep, I don't think their passages are an accurate depiction of what you see on the MCAT... Try to see if you can find secondhand books for the mcat on ebay or amazon, I've seen them selling for pennies on the dollar, especially if they are an older version... some sell for a few bucks and are totally worth it... KA passages are a decent way to supplement your studying but they should not be used as the only resource

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: MCAT Chemistry and Organic Chemistry: Content Review for the Revised MCAT

here is a link to a next step book for $7 shipped, i'm sure there are some cheaper ones than this too

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't think the KA science passages were very good. They were unrealistic (too simplistic) and not the type of questions you can expect. If money is tight, get used TBR books. They really are untouchable for the sciences. You can always sell them after you are done and get your money back. I bought some new and the others I bought through an exchange on campus. I was able to sell them back on the exchange for about what I paid.