What Do You All Think Of The Kids Who Volunteer To Give Tours On Interview Day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachel711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally feel that they do it for the free lunch.

And they are all too perky for all in all such a miserable process. I would like more dour faced people, with stories like " I had a 27 and thought I would never get in. I was so lucky to get in here."

Members don't see this ad.

They're chosen by the school's admin to make everything look peachy. Talk to the dour faces and then weigh out their opinions equally.

NS

I bet the free lunch is part of it :laugh: But I think it would be fun to give tours and meet all of the prospective students. And why should they be all grumpy? They're all done with this stupid process. When I'm totally done with this process, I'll be all perky and happy too :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I bet they all get a shot in the butt of demerol before each tour. It mellows them out and makes them love their school!

NotShorty said:
They're chosen by the school's admin to make everything look peachy. Talk to the dour faces and then weigh out their opinions equally.

NS

When I interviewed at UT Houston, most of them said they did it for the free lunch. At UT Southwestern, they said they only did it because they got paid to.

I'm gonna be poor as dirt and a free lunch would be alright by me! :laugh:

On one of my tours a student coming from a first yr class was like "run run away! Go to law school!" ha ha :laugh: :laugh:

I wish they would pay me to give tours....

On a more serious note, the kids who gave my tours have all be very helpful with any questions I have had since my interview day. I am gonna be pumped about the school I choose to attend so I cannot blame them for being little mascots.

During one of my interviews when we went to the conference room where lunch was going to be served...there were 3rd and 4th year students already eating...they just decided to start lunch without the interviewers...! :eek:
I was convinced at that point they did it for the free lunch...and I mean..it was a nice catered meal! :p

Karina

rachel711 said:

And they are all too perky for all in all such a miserable process. I would like more dour faced people, with stories like " I had a 27 and thought I would never get in. I was so lucky to get in here."

NotShorty said:

NS

I sometimes find them to be a little annoying, honestly. I don't trust them either, those perky people. In fact the number of superlatives used in their tour spiel (the research opportunities are "amazing" and the clinical training is "wonderful" blah blah) is inversely proportional to how much I believe anything they say. I dunno why they do it, probably because it makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside to talk about how great their school is, and by extension, they are.

I think it's important to seek out students who aren't associated with admissions so you don't limit exposure to a self-selected bunch of weirdly gung-ho happy people. On two of my interviews I found students from my undergrad and those were the only times I felt I was speaking to people who weren't trying to sell me something or hide negatives.

Heck, I have given tours. I like my school. I don't have to fake enthusiasm. And I didn't mind taking a break from the rotation I was on either.

I also have given tours....sure, the free lunch is nice, but some of us actually like our med school...plus, i smile and am more perky since i'm a fourth year (and have nothing better to do but sleep and drink beer)...trust me, i am NOT hand selected by the dean's office!

Members don't see this ad :)
my tour guide at yale was one of the most enthusiastic and helpful I have ever seen. I think she just really loved the school. A free lunch may have played a part too ;-)

What's wrong with people who give tours? Would you rather not have one at all, and not talk to anyone who already attends the school?

Geez, find something else to gripe about or get a life already....

rachel711 said:

At Wash U, I got a rosey picture from the first years, which is probably true because it's pass/fail your first year. But a couple of second years were just hilarious and brutally honest. They said it's a complete nightmare, it sucks, it's too much, omg, etc...

They were too tired to bs anyone, I loved it.

samboo said:
"run run away! Go to law school!"

I always say this, but none of them listen. :rolleyes:

There are plenty of reasons to do it. Just make sure that your bu11**** detectors are on, and look out for the ones that are "overly" happy.

NS

samboo said:
"run run away! Go to law school!"

Med students, residents, attendings, and practicing doctors all still tell me this. lol.

To tell you the truth though, every single one of my tour guides was awesome with the exception of one or two that were totally unprepared. If they take pride in their school or they're happy, all the more power to them. I wouldn't want to go to a school where all the students felt absolutely miserable, and there was no sense of camaraderie between one another. I might be a little naive, but I think most of them were fairly honest in answering any questions I had about their program, social opportunities, etc.

I give undergrad college tours at a small school, and i definitely do it for the free lunch. That, and since i'm too lazy to fill out our pay sheets, I'm counting tours as volunteer hours for my application :laugh:

Most of us that give tours are not getting paid and we are not doing it just for the free lunch. Mayo gives vouchers for a lunch at the cafeteria so we are not talking plushness here...I love my school and when I go on tours I am just doing it to get to know some of my future classmates and also to tell them how great I think my school is. I cannot believe that some of you guys are actually compalining about these tour guides.....it is better to have one than not...I sure appreciated them when I was interviewing and most of them if you ask them *will* give you pros and cons of X or Y school.

jjmack said:
my tour guide at yale was one of the most enthusiastic and helpful I have ever seen.

My tour guide at Yale was the first person I thought of when seeing this thread...man was she ever perky.

efex101 said:
Most of us that give tours are not getting paid and we are not doing it just for the free lunch. Mayo gives vouchers for a lunch at the cafeteria so we are not talking plushness here...I love my school and when I go on tours I am just doing it to get to know some of my future classmates and also to tell them how great I think my school is. I cannot believe that some of you guys are actually compalining about these tour guides.....it is better to have one than not...I sure appreciated them when I was interviewing and most of them if you ask them *will* give you pros and cons of X or Y school.

Oh and another thing. Once I begin medical school, I WILL NEVER CHECK THIS SITE AGAIN.

I am on this site for this year, while I have nothing else going on...

Thanks

Before I found a good paying parttime job I used to go to the pre-vet and pre-dental dinners just for the free pizza. If they can get a free meal out of it, kudos to them:) I'd do it for a granola bar...

They love free lunches!

Most of the students I talked to were very open about the motivating factor of free food. :) However, at one school, students who saw us all sitting around in our suits (waiting for interviews) just dropped by to chat and *still* seemed enthusiastic. That, I find convincing.

The two girls that did my medical school tour were hot.....I just may have to look them up when I get to school. :D

I give the free tours from time to time . . . I do it for the free lunch but I try to be honest by saying things like some of your lectures will be great and others will not be very good but that will be true no matter where you go. Or I will discuss how every school you apply to will discuss how their curriculum is innovative and point out how they provide a lot of early clinical experience but what really matters is that you will see yourself being happy with the type of people you will be around and the environment you will be in. However, whenever I do that I read the SDN interview reviews later and the interviewees say that they had a negative impression of the tour guide because I was "not enthusiastic". I love going to my school although there are things that can be improved (which will be true no matter where you go) so I do not know why they think I am not enthusiastic except that I was honest.

The 4th year that gave the tour I went on at UMaryland was definitely perky - but she did tell us that she was on cloud nine because her residency choices were turned in, and she was getting ready to match in a month. She was definitely in that "I'm a 4th year and almost done" mentality. She tried to be very real with us, but admitted to the fact that she may have given different answers a year or even a couple of months before. Basically, the take home message was that for her, med school had been completely worth it, and she was glad she had chosen that school.

I am thankful for the schools that offer tours! It really gives me a chance to catch a glimpse at some of the students at X University and imagine myself as a student there. Plus, a lot of interesting questions are brought up during the tour. When I began interviewing, talking to the students helped calm my nerves. Plus, they gave insight on who my faculty interviewers were, and what I should/shouldn't say. I'm really thankful for my student tourguides (I prefer them to administration tour guides), and I've kept in touch with quite a few.

However, I HATE the tourguides who are quite frank in their demeanor that they are only present for the free lunch. For instance, at my last interview, we had two tourguides who spent the entire tour 10 ft away from us as they gossiped...oops I mean 'caught up', sporadically pointing out the library/lab/blah. Wow! I mean, I learned much more than I would have if I followed a map [/sarcasm]

That being said, I'm totally signing up to volunteer to give tours.... and yes, its for the free lunch. I'll just have tact when talking to the applicants. Besides, I'm the applicant with a horror story who just so happened to get in :D Who wouldn't want me as their tourguide? :p

As a really bored 4th year, I find in interesting to cruise this forum and see what's going on. What is funny to me is how many "holier than thou" responses I have seen to this tour business. I would love to see the nay sayers (if the get accepted) jump at the chance to tour some prospective students around their medical school in the future. I would love to see their dour faces as they solemnly pledge against a free lunch and get a chance to meet some incoming students. :rolleyes: Give me a freaking break!
Anyhow, not all schools "pick" their students to give tours. In my school, many times it is whoever is available or interested. On test days, it may be tough to find an available student. If I give the tour, I am never "perky" and I am very honest about the school.
As for the school who's students were already eating by the time you guys arrived :eek: .... very tacky! :mad: Heads would roll at our school. The applicants should always have first dibs.

And for the student who said he will swear off the SDN once accepted or started medical school... Right ON! This place is a trap for your brain and your time is better spent talking to people in real life and getting away from the computer. As a bored 4th year, it might be helpful for interview stuff but believe me, stay the hell away from here after you start, if not sooner (this will probably ban me from here).

daysleeprx said:
When I interviewed at UT Houston, most of them said they did it for the free lunch. At UT Southwestern, they said they only did it because they got paid to.

At UTSouthwestern, they paid the hosts $15.00 per day to host us for MS0 weekend (2nd look).