what do you all think of this view on healthcare?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radi0headfan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of libertarian ideas being thrown around when reading stuff on healthcare reform...does anyone else think that this country is not quite ready for individual freedom/responsibility? Here's an article I was just reading:

http://haciendapub.com/article49.html

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with what was said in that article. I'd like to see MSAs and I too feel that having people pay for their routine stuff while insuring against the big stuf is a better way to go. Problem is Americans are too entitled and want it all, "first dollar coverage" as the article call it. Politicians don't want to see a program where they can't get votes by playing into class envy and control the money and direct it to their particular supporters so it's unlikely that we'll see any of these ideas realized.

Problem is Americans are too entitled and want it all, "first dollar coverage" as the article call it. .

Yea, I feel the same. Those ideas are great on paper, but when applied, I feel that people are too lazy to adapt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, article link didn't work. I did find this quote in another article though (many of them read similarly):

f we are not successful in our efforts, our fate will be the catastrophic stumble and inevitable plunge down the bottomless pit of corporate socialized medicine, and the enslavement of the medical profession (and neurosurgery) under the yoke of managed care. This plunge would signify the commencement of a New Dark Age of medical care regression, health care rationing, and perhaps, in the not-too-distant future, a brave new world of government or corporate-imposed, active euthanasia--rationing by death--as the ultimate and most efficient form of cost control.

Kind of hard to take this guy seriously when his conclusions are so farfetched. Enslavement of the medical profession? Involuntary euthanasia? Yikes.

Hmm, article link didn't work. I did find this quote in another article though (many of them read similarly):

Kind of hard to take this guy seriously when his conclusions are so farfetched. Enslavement of the medical profession? Involuntary euthanasia? Yikes.

I think the point here is the restraining individuals from being able to engage in the free trade of medicine and treatment would effectively force involuntary euthanasia. And yes, many people now feel that enslavement of the medical profession would be an apt description of what is happening now in both the US AND abroad.