What do you all think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arc22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I'd get opinions. I am a Spanish major, Biochem minor. I'm a Hispanic-American (US Citizen). I studied abroad, have many volunteer experiences, was 1/10 to win the AAMC video contest, and received some great recommendation letters to name a few things.

My overall and science GPA are about 3.9. I have gotten A's in all of my sciences, except an A- in Organic I. I took the MCAT two times and did about the same--28Q and 29Q (30 overall if you take best sections).

I personally feel my application looks great minus the MCAT scores....how does it look from the outside?

Members don't see this ad.

Oh and I also switched to premed my junior year and took Gen Chem, Bio, and Physics all at once and then Organic during the summer right before my MCAT. I'm hoping committees will see my ability to handle a lot at once and my work ethic....just wanted to add that in there. Thanks!

Maybe you could be more specific about your clinical experience (months and Hours), shadowing (hours and types of doc), research (if any), leadership, nonmedical community service, teaching, hobbies, etc. Your numbers look OK, but interviews are offered on the basis or experiences.

What is your home state?

Members don't see this ad :)
For sure, here are some of my experiences:

-Refugee mentor (1 yr)
-ESL teacher for a ESL class I started (summer)
-emergency department volunteer (1 yr)
-played ACHA DIII club hockey (1 yr)
-Special-Olympics chaperon (two times)
-Freshman orientation leader one year (about 2 months)
-I've worked in my college's admissions office in different positions, primarily leadership roles, since sophomore year
-Spanish tutor (two years)
-Service trip to Honduras (1 week)
-Spent time on academic trips to Honduras (4 months) and Costa Rica (1 month)
-I've shadowed twice (I had only once before I submitted my app so I didn't even list that...)
-Currently doing some research on Honduran health care

There are a few things I've started this year but those aren't listed on my app

Does that help?

Wow I am sorry I keep forgetting things and keep having to post! I'm from Ohio and go to school in Michigan

Ohio is a great state to be from when one is applying to med schools. I think there is a good chance you'll do fine in this application cycle, but to be nit-picky, my observations of past applicants from Ohio, is that your state schools like to see a solid amount of clinical experience and shadowing. If your abroad trips included any patient interaction, you're probably fine, but if not continued augmentation of the 1 year of clinical experience would be wise. Additional accumulated hours as well as the shadowing hours (I suggest you keep working on that, too) and a research update should be communicated to schools via update letter, as well as the "new" pertinent activities (what are they, anyway?).

The nonmedical community service, teaching/tutoring/mentoring, intercollegiate sport, and leadership look great.

How many schools did you apply to, when did you complete Secondaries, and what response have you received so far from schools?

thanks! i have been in touch with the volunteer coordinator at the nearby hospital and i'm going to start up volunteering again. im also helping out on the pre-med club's leadership team.

im planning on a few more shadowing experiences coming up and in janurary ill be spending two weeks in honduras working at a clinic.

since i switched to premed my junior year, the only science grades on my AMCAS are the prereqs (ochem, gen chem, phsyics, and bio). If i have interviews in the spring, id like to update med schools on the following:

-more clinical and shadowing
-my january time in honduras
-current science courses
-possibly research?
-a few more LOR

what is the best way to update the school on this stuff come the new year? they all say they wont take unsolicited letters. i was thinking of packaging them and handing them to my interviewer....any suggestions?

what is the best way to update the school on this stuff come the new year? they all say they wont take unsolicited letters. i was thinking of packaging them and handing them to my interviewer....any suggestions?
They ALL say no supplemental materials? Yikes. Your solution to this problem is fine, in addition to discussing it at interview if an opportunity arises.

They don't refer to "materials." They say no unsolicited LOR, only letters through AMCAS. However, I've close to some people at my college who could right great letters (one of the ones I sent in already is from the VP of the college which is great!). As for new activities or transcripts, I have no idea how they want those.

So yea I was going to collect everything and then at my interview just ask if the committee would be willing to accept it. You think that would be fine?

As for my secondaries, I had them all in at the beginning of Sep but I took the MCAT in September and so the apps were all on hold until a about 3 weeks ago. I think that hurt because so many interviews were sent out. If I were to get an interview, is it too late in the fall to even think about a fall interview? Should I be expecting things for the spring?

I applied to 15 schools...I wanted 10 but I got a little ambitious!

1) They say no unsolicited LOR, only letters through AMCAS. As for new activities or transcripts, I have no idea how they want those.

So yea I was going to collect everything and then at my interview just ask if the committee would be willing to accept it. You think that would be fine?

2) is it too late in the fall to even think about a fall interview? Should I be expecting things for the spring?
1) I think they probably will accept update letters from what you've added. Why not call a few and inquire.

2) No, it's not too late to get interviews. Just recall that interview season goes through April/May at some schools, and don't give up hope. But still, prepare just in case a reapplication cycle is necessary.

I got an interview offer at Oakland University in MI the day after your response. I went this past Friday, it went really well and I was very impressed with the program.