Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

What do you Americans think?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Plugger, May 21, 2002.

1. Plugger

Plugger Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey guys and gals,
    I've found this forum to be quite helpful over the last couple of weeks and I have one more question for you. I am Canadian, my GPA will be 3.91 according to AADSAS and I am hoping to up my dat scores. Currently they are Academic-19, Science-20, PAT-15. However I studied for one whole day - someone told me that the DAT was worth very, very little at UofToronto dents so I didn't bother studying. I feel I could really improve my academic score but I have trouble with the PAT. I'm guessing that with hard work I could probably pull off an 18, because when I wrote the DAT I went so slowly on the PAT section I missed 15 out of the 90 questions, ie. A whole subsection....just bubbled it in in the last 30seconds. So here's my question. If my stats are like...3.91, Academic-20, Sci-22, PAT-18, where are my chances the best in the states. I would like to apply to SUNY buffalo, and NOVA, as well as Temple and Case Western. Are there any other schools who may overlook my low PAT score on the basis of my high GPA...not to sound snobbish but I worked damn hard to get those grades while working to pay for my education. Here's another curve...I want to stay out of NYC and I don't have very much financial support so BU and Tufts, NYU, and Columbia are out. Also, reputation really doesn't mean that much to me.. I'd rather go to a school where the grads are really happy with the education they've received than to graduate from a big name school and to have hated the last four years of your life. Please, anyone's input would be greatly appreciated. I talked to admissions at the University of Kentucky and they told me I should come down and they'd gladly give me a tour...odd for a state school isn't it, considering I'm Canadian. When I asked for a tour at Toronto they told me they don't give tours and that the facilities are off limits to nonstudents. Boy Canadian Schools suck hard. Anyways..hope to here from y'all.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Canadian schools do suck hard.

4. chipmunk

chipmunk Member
    7+ Year Member

Your stats seem competitive enough to apply to any dental school in the US. Do try to work on your perceptual a bit. One important thing that I noticed when applying is that scores and numbers are not everything. You need extracurricular activities, shadowing experience, and even research experience makes you stand out. How you handle the interviews are another thing as well --it shows your interpersonal communication skills.

Good luck with applying!