What do you buy with your educational stipend?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smists

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a pgy 1, I spent a fair amount on electronics and joining professional organizations. Got a little left over this year... and not sure what to get. And what about the following years?

What do you recommend, whether books? Classes? Lectures? Certifications? Anything fun and exciting? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you get a pretty large educational stipend.

We only get like $300. Doesn't even cover UWorld Qbank, not to mention they didn't pay for our Step 3. (hint hint... things to use your huge stipend on if they're not already covered.)

Reactions: 1 user
A friend of mine managed to save up enough in her 4 years of medical school for a trip after graduation (and before intern year).

When I asked her how the heck that was possible she said that she went to Bali with friends -- which Bali is supposedly really cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
The best things you can do with that money to buy some books. Because this will help your to pass your leisure time and you could learn a lot of things by reading different kind of books.

A friend of mine managed to save up enough in her 4 years of medical school for a trip after graduation (and before intern year).

When I asked her how the heck that was possible she said that she went to Bali with friends -- which Bali is supposedly really cheap.

That sounds like a rather unusual situation.

^this. Save it in an "oh ****" account -- e.g. "Oh ****, how am I going to pay for step 2 AND have enough money to eat?"

Good luck!

I think the OP is referring to the educational stipend you get in residency ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, they could have been truly spendy and gone to Gstaad.
Or they could go a bit further north to Sweden, and give us all a first hand account of "uppgivenhetssyndrom". That would be educational!

Reactions: 1 user