What do you do after being denied and want to reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stewiefan2006

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been denied and I am limited because I own a home, how do I make myself more attractive for the next cycle? repeat some classes, retake the pcat? any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Go in and talk to an advisor or admissions rep at the school. They will probably be happy to tell you what you need to do to improve your application.

I have been denied and I am limited because I own a home, how do I make myself more attractive for the next cycle? repeat some classes, retake the pcat? any advice is appreciated.

I doubt repeating classes will change your GPA significantly at this point. But if you have C's in important prerequisites (O-Chem), retaking might not be too bad. I would suggest getting involved in the field of pharmacy. If you haven't already, get a job as a pharmacy tech or volunteer in the inpatient pharmacy of your local hospital. Do a lot of research on the field of pharmacy, such that your personal statement will be more informed about what interests you in pharmacy, and in what direction you want to go. Also, if going to pharmacy school is what you truly want to do...you can always sell your home. I know...I will most likely be selling mine to attend next fall. Don't limit yourself - apply broadly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that one of the biggest things that you can do is either call, or better yet, visit with an adviser that will sit down and go over the weak (AND strong) points of your application. Also, sometimes having a whole year to "tweak" your essay to what a specific school is looking for.

I agree that taking classes rarely helps your GPA, but if you need to get rid of a C you may be able to do it. I find that, at least in the people I've talked to, bettering yourself (whether it's working at a challenging pharmacy job, volunteering, research program) for a year seems to carry more weight than just taking classes....but it can be difficult to get something. All in all...I think what the counselor has to tell you will be invaluable.

Oh, and this probably doesn't apply to you, but make sure you don't have any classes that are going to expire next year (it's been many years since you've taken the course) AND make sure to watch like a HAWK that the school doesn't spring any additional prereqs on you. Schools may upgrade or even add additional classes, and if you don't pay attention you will be in for a big surprise when your prereqs are no longer enough.

GOOD LUCK!!!

This may not be an option, but I sold my home to make myself more mobile, increase my options, and my financial viability.

If it's not an option then all of the above seem good options. The priority of those options depend on your GPA, PCAT, and amount of volunteer/job experience.

guys I am retaking the pcat with the kaplan class. Honestly, my gpa is only abput 2.8 because of my first year of college. I have gotten great grades in the last 5 years, and an A in both semesters of O-chem. But my pcat scores and my first year of college are bad. It's just very easy to give up on all this. This is the thing: being a pharmacist is not all about the grades-i think that schools should look for more diversity. I have a BS in psychology.

Since you cannot improve your GPA much, retake the PCAT is a must. You should apply early and broadly (if you want to sell your house and move), and to newer schools or else it might be hard to get into a pharmacy school if you're so limited to where you can apply.

While I do agree that being a pharmacist is not all about grades, but how can the school determine who is qualified and who is not if not based on those numbers?

Since you cannot improve your GPA much, retake the PCAT is a must. You should apply early and broadly (if you want to sell your house and move), and to newer schools or else it might be hard to get into a pharmacy school if you're so limited to where you can apply.

While I do agree that being a pharmacist is not all about grades, but how can the school determine who is qualified and who is not if not based on those numbers?

I'd agree with retaking the PCAT. You could check to see if schools nearby have academic forgiveness. I know USN will disregard all but the most recent 5 years. That would take care of the problem. Of course then you have to look at moving if there's no program close enough. What's your science GPA?Even if they have absolutely nothing to do with pharmacy you might still consider retaking some of those classes from your first year just for the GPA boost. 2.8 is below some (I think quite a few) minimum GPA requirements.

Well if your limited by a home to certain schools, then go talk to admission counselors at those schools. They will offer the best advice on what to fix for next cycle. I would recommend you sit down and calculate how much you could improve your GPA if you retook classes and got As in them! Like mentioned above I think 2.75 is the minimum at most schools and you want to get into the 3 region, it really depends on how many credits you have, how much of a difference it will make. It is definitely worth the tme to figure it out though. There are online GPA calculators you can use, just google it.

The very act of reapplying is often helpful because is shows that you are serious about your wish to attend. If your PCAT scores are above 90, I wouldn't retake them unless you're very certain that you can improve. I personally don't think that retaking classes will help you that much, especially if you've already got your degree. I think that your best bet is to make yourself very visible to them, and make certain that they understand that you are serious about attending their school and being successful in their program.

PCAT IS HUGE. My GPA is only a 3.46 and I've gotten an interview to every school I applied to with an 87 PCAT (99 Chemistry score, reading score of.....58 lol). I also have a completed research projects so I think that helped me out. I think that if you're willing to show that you're involved with scientific academia then you're showing them that you're a "new-age" pharmacist and exicted about Pharmacy for the right reasons. But yea I took the online Kaplan course for the PCAT and I went from a 72 to the 87 I got in October so I would definately recommend it. I feel like you gain a huge edge by having someone structure your studying rather than going about it by yourself. Replace some C's if you have any, take the PCAT course and I'm sure you'll have a much greater chance next round. Good luck!

Submit your application, including PCAT, letters of recommendation, etc as soon as possible.
Also, apply broadly.
If you have some C's, better retake the class to get a B or an A. =)