What do you do after dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When you graduate, do you immediately go off into private practice or is there an intership/residency program that you go through? I'm inquiring basically for general dentistry. I know that you can do other programs like ortho, endo, etc., but I'm a little turned off by them now. I hear how difficult they are to get, so I'm not looking at those. How long does the typical residency last? When do you finally start making some money so you can pay off those loans?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There are General Practice Residencies all over the country. Some states have many problems and some states only have a few. You can do a GPR at a hospital or your school's hospital or a AEGD(Advanced Education in General Dentistry Program. Some AEGD dont pay very well. GPR pay the same as the comparable medical residencies so about ($25K to $45K annually). GPRs usually are for 1 year with a 2 year option. I did a 1 year GPR in NYC and I made $41K. I started as an associate/ independent contractor in NYC for 1.5 years and averaged $65K year one. Then I moved up to $80K for six months and finally I started making $110K. So in summary, 2 years of out residency exactly and 3 years out of school, I make the national average for young dentist which is about $93K out of school. You may find that perfect job right out of residency, and make over $100K off the bat but I had to relocate and find my niche.

Good LUck to ya.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow! cool! Thanks for your feedback! Best Wishes!