What do you do for fun?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellowgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Balance. This is what I think I need to achieve. I just returned to school full time after many years and I've been studying, studying, studying. Not finding time to do much else except what is necessary.

Thought I would ask you guys what you do for fun? Oh and does anyone watch tv? Looking forward to any new series this Fall?

mellowgirl :)

Members don't see this ad.

Golf, playing computer games, watching TV mostly older shows like on Nick ad Nite and sports.

I read the appendices in my textbooks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Balance. This is what I think I need to achieve. I just returned to school full time after many years and I've been studying, studying, studying. Not finding time to do much else except what is necessary.

Thought I would ask you guys what you do for fun? Oh and does anyone watch tv? Looking forward to any new series this Fall?

Get yourself a gameboy. Great stress reliever that you can take anywhere.

I try to go to the gym 3x a week but consistently fail at that. I cook a lot for fun and for other people. I go downtown or to the movies once every week or so. I would go crazy without breaks. But my favorite studying break is leaving my room and screwing around with friends down the hall for a while.

Gym 4-6 times a week, video games every now and then, love to cook, run with my puppy.

I have recently taken up hiking. I don't go often, but I try to go once or twice a month.

I also build/assemble and shoot guns, AR15s specifically. I also have pistols, but I mainly mess with the ARs.

I dabble in photography, but it's a pretty expensive hobby and I haven't done much lately.

Going out to eat is a bit of a hobby. Sure, everyone goes for meals pretty frequently, but I'll plan vacations around where I want to eat. Maybe it's not a hobby, but it's a big part of my entertainment.

run, learn new things on the piano, keep up my obsession with all things college/pro basketball/football

Work out when I am not feeling lazy, anything sports (watching or playing), No Limit Hold'em poker, reading, and going out to eat (in a place like Louisiana you can't go wrong).

where in the state are you? my hobby of going out to eat really started in Louisiana after going to Emeril's, Commander's Palace, GW Fins, WOW, Drago's..

have you been to Jacques Imo's? local cool good.

the other places you mentioned are kind of commercial and put on a big show about how they're so upscale.

not the case with jacques imo's. kind of eccentric.

the other places you mentioned are kind of commercial and put on a big show about how they're so upscale.

nope, the family has mentioned it several times but we've never gone. I'll have to make sure to go next time I'm there :)

I went to Commander's for lunch and I was surprised how down to earth the place was, but the food was extremely good. GW Fins is underrated, if you ever are back in NO you need to find that place. The lobster dumplings are ridiculous.

In my free time? I still manage to play guitar every now and then. I waste a lot of time on SDN and other forums. I also work out 3x a week and play video games where/when I can (I have a Nintendo DS for those occasions where I find myself on campus but don't feel like studying.) And I'm in my 4th year of college so this might seem lame, but I still go to parties every weekend and get trashed. Usually it's a great release for the end of the week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just don't start playing World of Warcraft. Warcraft --> no balance.

LOVE jacque imo's! Mmmmm. Perhaps I'll make a trip there next month. :D

have you had the alligator and shrimp cheesecake?

sounds weird, but it's not sweet; just creamy and good.

Hrm. No, but I'm sure my sister has. She used to live there. And she just finished culinary school (but not in NOLA). I'll trust her judgment on that one! :p

I remember having a delicious pecan-crusted something-or-other there though. Yum. Anyone going to Tulane to interview should definitely try to make a trip there.

Hrm. No, but I'm sure my sister has. She used to live there. And she just finished culinary school (but not in NOLA). I'll trust her judgment on that one! :p

I remember having a delicious pecan-crusted something-or-other there though. Yum. Anyone going to Tulane to interview should definitely try to make a trip there.

as we were just talking, i was thinking "would it be weird to go there by myself?" then, i concluded that it would be totally worth the weirdness.

as we were just talking, i was thinking "would it be weird to go there by myself?" then, i concluded that it would be totally worth the weirdness.

I went there once by myself, actually. Sat at the bar and had a great meal. Bartender was really friendly too, as well as the other patrons. It's N'awlins - you're never alone!

Or, you could take your student host with you....

Have sex.

I actually have the same problem and I decided to change quite recently (last two months). I've notice that I have never been to a concert in my life and so I decided to buy tickets to two of my favorite bands. I got to go hiking, got to play more basketball, and hit the gym here and there.

Balance is good, not just for health but to make you a more well-rounded person. Find people who are willing to go with you, if your friends are too lazy and stubborn, find new friends or join some sort of club/activity at school. You'll thank yourself later :)

P.S. a helpful hint would be to dump any boyfriend you are dating. They waste a lot of time and hold you back ;)

Lame tv was totally my guilty pleasure and reward during my post-bac year. And now that it's over, I've got more bad tv habits than I care to confess. Ugh. Note to self: trash the tivo before starting med school (*knock on wood*).

i totally know what you mean. My life revolves around school and work too. When I am at work its like I never have any interesting stories to tell so I mostly stay quiet while other people go on and on about which clubs they went to and what they did there. In school most talks involves classes, professors, and school related. Even SDN my one hobby kind of its all mostly school related stuff.

* I have not been shopping in almost 7 months (saving money for when I need it)
* Last movie I watched was HP
* I used to love reading but now when I read I feel guilty that I should be reading my text books

I don't have a life!

i totally know what you mean. My life revolves around school and work too. When I am at work its like I never have any interesting stories to tell so I mostly stay quiet while other people go on and on about which clubs they went to and what they did there. In school most talks involves classes, professors, and school related. Even SDN my one hobby kind of its all mostly school related stuff.

* I have not been shopping in almost 7 months (saving money for when I need it)
* Last movie I watched was HP
* I used to love reading but now when I read I feel guilty that I should be reading my text books

I don't have a life!

look im on SDN on a Sat night, pathetic, trust me i feel you

you kids are undergrads, come on. the time i spent working on my degree was divided as follows:
80% hanging out with friends and going to parties
20% going to class and studying

i'm not saying that you have to go that route, but you don't have to spend 100% on school. college is about more than books.

find something that you like and do it. make friends. don't be THE gunner in all of your classes.

Lift weights (stopped once application process began-- must start again!), play video games (sadly this one will probably be the first to go once I get into med school), watch sports

I also used to love reading/learning about physics but now in between working full time, applications, and other assorted life things I haven't been able to recently.

Lift weights, play soccer/racquetball, hiking... and TV --> not much, just Scrubs and NFL (go Colts!)

where in the state are you? my hobby of going out to eat really started in Louisiana after going to Emeril's, Commander's Palace, GW Fins, WOW, Drago's..

I live 30 miles north of New Orleans (Northshore of Lake Pontchatrain). We have good restaurants but the really good restaurants are in NO. Drago's is by far my favorite restaurant. You also have to try Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

I live 30 miles north of New Orleans (Northshore of Lake Pontchatrain). We have good restaurants but the really good restaurants are in NO. Drago's is by far my favorite restaurant. You also have to try Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
gotcha. my fiancee's family is also from the north shore. :)

For fun, hmmm... I live in Philadelphia so me and my friends go all over the place when we're not studying (aka once a month at best usually). Sometimes we play Wii (trauma center - do we get healing power in residency? haha). I take a class at the gym (spinning, its hardcore). I have a pretty boring life.

I do volunteer reptile surveys. What's more fun than catching rattlesnakes? I also dabble in nature/landscape photography, try to keep abreast of what's happening in the world of land conservation, and play on my computer. And my dog, he keeps my entertained as well.

I work out, play with my cats, obsess with the internet (not just SDN), go fishing up in the mountains, knit.

Go out to bars with friends, mountain climbing, video games (Guitar Hero is a great stress reliever, and I like to think it builds dexterity), walk with my ipod. They all relieve stress and are just fun!

I drink, search for some good music, fix computers, read good books, weight train and Im looking into sparing/MMA training right now.
I'd go insane if I didn't have an outlet of some sort from schoolwork

I work out, play with my cats, obsess with the internet (not just SDN), go fishing up in the mountains, knit.

Oooh, I just took up knitting! I bought a loom (Knifty Knitter) yesterday and I've nearly finished my first scarf in a nice heathered green (Lion Brand Wool-Ease).

My other 'down time' activities include baking (especially cookies), quilting, hiking, and reading anything I can get my hands on.

Lift, watch TV, read SDN.

I would be another person with no stories, but I work on a psych unit. Just yesterday, I enjoyed the company an elder gentleman who has lost his cognitive faculties, and now decides that pants are just not for him, regardless of where he is or who's around...

Oooh, I just took up knitting! I bought a loom (Knifty Knitter) yesterday and I've nearly finished my first scarf in a nice heathered green (Lion Brand Wool-Ease).

My other 'down time' activities include baking (especially cookies), quilting, hiking, and reading anything I can get my hands on.

are you sure you're not my grandmother? haha :laugh:

Eat, wash my car (if I'm at home), walk around aimlessly, post useless things on forums..

yeah...I need a new hobby.

I am usually spending time frustrated over my physics HW or Calc HW or Orgo HW.....lol. That's about 90% of my time right there.

To be honest, I really like research. Call me crazy but I think its fun and interesting. Even tho its somewhat pre-med related, it's one of my actual hobbies.

I play pick-up hockey, run around playing freeze tag on the grass, watch guilty pleasure shows (house, grey's anatomy and the office) hahaha, have handstand contests with my friends. I love college, it's so great, you really should have some fun even if you're busy!

Everquest 2 (Don't get started - it's addictive, and much better than world of warcraft!) reading, knitting, baking, gardening, playing with my son, playing with my cats, walks on the beach with my husband, picnics with my family, going out to clubs and relieving my stresses by dancing till I can't think anymore.

I wonder how older adcomm members would react if we told them our hobbies include surfing the internet or participating in message boards. Is that a legitimate hobby?

you kids are undergrads, come on. the time i spent working on my degree was divided as follows:
80% hanging out with friends and going to parties
20% going to class and studying

i'm not saying that you have to go that route, but you don't have to spend 100% on school. college is about more than books.

find something that you like and do it. make friends. don't be THE gunner in all of your classes.

I'm having difficulty scrapping a mediocre GPA (mediocre in relation to med school applicants) in my major. So....yah it's pretty much all about the school now. If I could go back and choose an easier major I probably would have, but too late now, I f***ed myself over from the beginning.

Everquest 2 (Don't get started - it's addictive, and much better than world of warcraft!) reading, knitting, baking, gardening, playing with my son, playing with my cats, walks on the beach with my husband, picnics with my family, going out to clubs and relieving my stresses by dancing till I can't think anymore.
*Jochi1543 seal of approval*