What do you do for money during the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p9142

UR out of your element!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how you current medical students pay rent/living expenses during the summer. I know that getting a research job is an option, but it seems like the pay might not be enough to live on.

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering how you current medical students pay rent/living expenses during the summer. I know that getting a research job is an option, but it seems like the pay might not be enough to live on.

i run a couple glory holes at $10 a pop. not me personally...i just oversee those who work in them.

stewiepimp.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
sell some semen or a couple eggs...

Or get a job...hippie

usually the financial aid packages for grad students cover 12 months living expenses, so you should be all set

I will prety much do anything for money. Why what do you need?

Borrow enough money during the academic year to cover your summer expenses.

and the rest of us get a job.

That's what my question was really about. What kind of job do you get during the summer that is sufficient to support yourself? I imagine that employers aren't anxious to hire people that will only work two or three months. I've had a professional job in computer engineering, but there is no way an engineering firm will hire me for just the summer. Are there any jobs that medical students are qualified for after MS1 which enable students to make enough to pay rent and eat?

At NYU (and I imagine this is the case elsewhere) we have a lot of fellowship opportunities that pay $350/week for 35 hours work. Not a lot of money, but these things at least keep students occupied, give them a chance to explore a field of medicine or research, and create positive cash flow. Any student who wants one will get something, not necessarily their first choice though.

At NYU (and I imagine this is the case elsewhere) we have a lot of fellowship opportunities that pay $350/week for 35 hours work. Not a lot of money, but these things at least keep students occupied, give them a chance to explore a field of medicine or research, and create positive cash flow. Any student who wants one will get something, not necessarily their first choice though.

That would be perfect. Hopefully I can find something similar at my school.

When I took Kaplan for the MCAT, most of my teachers were medical students. My class was from May-August. Good luck!

Well, you could ***** yourself out to a thousand fat chicks for $50 or a hundred really fat chicks for $500...

What fat chicks need love too... but they have to pay.